In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt AR-15 question

usmc1978usmc1978 Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I've got a Colt HBAR Match Sporter. It's a pre-ban, serial MH002xxx. What is the correct receiver pivot pin for this rifle: the push pin, the pivot pin and screw, or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
"Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a similar rifle and it has a "push pin".
  • ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the factory screw type as being the original.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Mine came with a pin with a screw. One side has a cutout on the head.
    You can replace them with the proper size push pin.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Look at the hole size for the rear push-pin. If it's the same size as the hole on the front boss of your lower receiver, then you will need the USGI standard spring-detent push-pin.

If the hole is larger in the front, (most likely scenario) then the gun left the factory with the screw-type pin that doesn't have the spring retainer.

(Notice the rear pin..it's secured from falling out of the receiver by a spring and a tiny follower-that's what I mean by a 'spring retainer')

Best, Joe
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My serial starts MH040.
    It had the pin with screw, like dcs.
    If you want to install an upper with the small hole, Brownell's has an adapter.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine also has screwed forward pin.

Once I got used to it I found it preferable, as it is next to impossible to lose the upper.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by usmc1978
    I've got a Colt HBAR Match Sporter. It's a pre-ban, serial MH002xxx. What is the correct receiver pivot pin for this rifle: the push pin, the pivot pin and screw, or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

They were mostly made with the pivot pin and screw, but there are a few examples of the of the pushpin pre-bans out there too, circa 1994 or before.

Best
  • usmc1978usmc1978 Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks!!
    "Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • dude1951dude1951 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine also has the screw type pin