In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bert a little help please

ithaca4meithaca4me Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Someone I know has these 2 Winchesters 1873 32/20 serial #451125B doesn't seem to be anything special about it other than condition is very good. The other is 1886 45/70 Half octagon barrel wonder if swivels are factory I doubt the checkering is but could be wrong.

0622152111a_zpsndqxqvgd.jpg

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please contact me via a PM.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    That '86 has some special order features.... pistol grip stock, checkering, shotgun butt, half magazine, half octagon barrel, maybe the sling mounts...

Edit: The "SHC" doesn't mean anything. It's not a factory applied marking.
  • ithaca4meithaca4me Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert I sent you an email I can't find a PM icon.
    edited November -1
    The checkering on the Model 1886 is factory original (I-pattern). I can not see the sling swivels well enough to determine if they are factory or aftermarket. What is the barrel length? What is the serial number? Most Model 1886 serial numbers can be lettered/researched, and you should do so on that rifle.

In order to assess either of those Winchesters, I need to see better (close-up, detailed) pictures. The one picture you posted does not contain enough detail.
    edited November -1
    The 1886 S.H.C by the patent pending stamping working on the rest.
    edited November -1
    The owner says there is no serial number just the SHC I asked her to send pictures the picture is not that good but here it is. I know the serial number should be behind the screw but you can see the SHC stamped again I am going to go look at it personally this thing is driving me crazy.

0624151616_zpsny9kfobd.jpg
    edited November -1
    Well I went and looked at it and I would say the tang was replaced and all it does say is shc but what is odd is shc is stamped on the barrel also. Odd but that 1873 the finish on the reciever is awesome I would say 70-80% percent. It is the most original finish I have seen on a 73 in person.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    The Model 1886 lower tang has either been altered or replaced, and it appears the same thing for the barrel. Unless it is real cheap, I would not recommend buying it.