In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

257 R0berts with pad???

penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
Do the above normally come with a recoil pad or would that indicate the stock has been cut?

Comments

• 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Remington 722 without a pad. What make/model are you asking about?
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My .257 Roberts has a recoil pad...

So does my .250-3000 savage...

Come to think of it my .14 Donaldson wasp also has a pad.

Sometimes it's a matter of preference sometimes it's a necessity.

Mike
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean 'recoil pad' (7/8" thick or more); or 'rubber butt pad' (1/2" thick or less)?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to measure the length of pull and then check out the manufactures specs for that weapon. I often add a thick pad to help make the firearm fit me.
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes people put the recoil pad on just to prevent the rifle slipping when you put it in a corner or stand it up any where or secure it better in the shoulder.

Check first to see if the pad is an after market one or a factory installed one. That should tell you if it was an added pad but the length of pull could be just about anything - standard LOP is approximately 13.5 inches.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to give us more information...the age of this rifle, make and model...lots of the newer models come with a thinner pad on, especially from semi custom/production manufacturer's.
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that on special order Winchester would fit a rifle with a recoil pad
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    measure the wood from trigger to end,, with "pad"then without. Brand? ect. ,,that's like asking which penguin in a flock of 1,000 has one eye.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penguin
    Do the above normally come with a recoil pad or would that indicate the stock has been cut?

It depends on which manufacturer. My dads, Rem 722 did not have a pad. I've seen older pre-'64 Win 70's without them, and with them. I'm not sure when they changed.

The Ruger, I owned did. Same with the Win 70 Fwt. I don't know what the current Rem 700 CDL has, but I believe it does have a pad.

Suffice it to say most of the newer ones do, a lot of older ones don't.