In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt - Remington Rand 45 ACP

coltnutzcoltnutz Member Posts: 206 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am starting to do some research on a Colt - Remington Rand 45 auto. I have zero knowledge on these. I realize that there may be too many variations to respond but being pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.

I received a call from an acquaintance who claims to have a Remington Rand auto 45.and they want to sell it. At this point, I have not seen the gun yet and don't have the luxury of having it in my hand or pictures.

The seller tells me that some of the markings are:

Interarms
Alexandria Virginia
80 1755 (or S0 1755)

Based on some of these markings, can someone point me in the right direction of my search or what gun we have here?

It sounds like it has the parkerized finish, comes with several mags, holster and two sets of grips - walnut and black plastic. The owner thinks that black plastic grips are the originals but is not certain. Any comments about the grips are welcomed. The condition supposedly is very good with one side of the gun showing evidence of very light pitting.

Stupid question: Would this gun be marked "Remington Rand" somewhere or how does one know it is a Remington Rand?

Based on what I know about the owner, I don't think that this gun has been "around the block" at gun shows and the like, I think he got it from the original owner.

At this point, I do not have the luxury of putting this gun in my hand or pictures.

Any help is appreciated as to what series it may be, value range and any reading material I should find.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    here is a good start,

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/remingtons.htm

did you try google first before you posted your query here ?

i just typed in "Colt - Remington Rand 45 auto", and found all sorts of info like the above URL.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Interarms
    Alexandria Virginia".............means this pistol was a commercial import=zero colletors intrest. still probably a good 'shooter' (probably has mixed parts as well).
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Not to nitpick, but the original owner was the US government. Then some foreign government. Then Interarms. Due to the import marking, this is the earliest in the gun's life your acquaintance will have had ownership. Now..

If your friend is mentioning Remington Rand, that probably means that he read it off the gun. That also means that the upper (slide) is the Remington Rand. Now, the frame..

Is it Colt? We'll need the SerNo, and the three-letter initials that are stamped just above the magazine release button (left side of frame) to determine the frame's manufacturer.

If the three initials are absent, then the gun is a repark (most likely scenario-as a mixed parts gun is prime evidence of arsenal reconditioning).

Anyways, it's a shooter. The only thing left to consider is just how tight it groups on paper. Best, Joe

EDIT:
    Coltnutz: Best if you delete all your 'thank you' posts. Although appreciated, this string will lock-out after ten replies. Let's make more room for the photos, etc..and reply to us via your original post (through the edit process).

Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks USN Airdale,

I did google and was overloaded with info. The hard part of this mission is trying to find accurate info for a gun I never saw or have accurate info.....thank you for your reply

quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    here is a good start,

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/remingtons.htm

did you try google first before you posted your query here ?

i just typed in "Colt - Remington Rand 45 auto", and found all sorts of info like the above URL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THanks Joe.......very helpful and thanks for your reply

quote:Originally posted by givette
    Not to nitpick, but the original owner was the US government. Then some foreign government. Then Interarms. Due to the import marking, this is the earliest in the gun's life your acquaintance will have had ownership. Now..

If your friend is mentioning Remington Rand, that probably means that he read it off the gun. That also means that the upper (slide) is the Remington Rand. Now, the frame..

Is it Colt? We'll need the SerNo, and the three-letter initials that are stamped just above the magazine release button (left side of frame) to determine the frame's manufacturer.

If the three initials are absent, then the gun is a repark (most likely scenario-as a mixed parts gun is prime evidence of arsenal reconditioning).

Anyways, it's a shooter. The only thing left to consider is just how tight it groups on paper. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THanks Mike - good info.......thanks for your reply

quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "Interarms
    Alexandria Virginia".............means this pistol was a commercial import=zero colletors intrest. still probably a good 'shooter' (probably has mixed parts as well).
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the Interarms markings there is a 99% probability that it's a "shooter" grade .45. What ever you do, don't let this guy snow you into believing other wise.

Best thing to do would be to post quality close-up photos of it on this forum, for valuation and authentication guidance.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, worst case, the frame is an Armscorp (Phillipines) or Rock Island Arsenal, which would keep it from being even a decent shooter.

But, to pick nits, Remington Rand was a WW2 contractor that produced "M1911A1" pistols (while taking a break from producing typewriters). So, your friends gun would be accurately called a "Remington Rand M1911A1", not Colt in any part of the name (assuming the frame is the original USGI frame).

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    more good info.....thanks rufe-snow

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    With the Interarms markings there is a 99% probability that it's a "shooter" grade .45. What ever you do, don't let this guy snow you into believing other wise.

Best thing to do would be to post quality close-up photos of it on this forum, for valuation and authentication guidance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks nmyers, I appreciate the reply

quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    And, worst case, the frame is an Armscorp (Phillipines) or Rock Island Arsenal, which would keep it from being even a decent shooter.

But, to pick nits, Remington Rand was a WW2 contractor that produced "M1911A1" pistols (while taking a break from producing typewriters). So, your friends gun would be accurately called a "Remington Rand M1911A1", not Colt in any part of the name (assuming the frame is the original USGI frame).

Neal
  • Options
    speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The firearm you have is probably an Interarms Silver Cup. Ser.# should be SC 1755. I have one of these #60x. It is an excellent shooter.