In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dutch Carbine brass stock plate

1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Dutch Mannlicher carbine dated 1919 from Hembrug, Netherlands with the following brass plate inlet into the stock:

?tn=179320434

I am reasonably certain that this carbine served with the Dutch East Indies Army (KNIL is for Koninklijk Nederlands Indisch Leger {Royal Netherlands East Indies Army}) because it has a turned down bolt, skeleton rimmed butt plate, two vent holes in the receiver, and the above unit marking plate; all characteristics of KNIL use. Extensive rust underneath the stock would seem to confirm jungle use. My question is:

Can anyone explain which unit the marking plate indicates?

I suspect that Verl.G III represents Vl.G., which is short for Vliegtuiggroep (air group)III. Vl.G III was stationed at Tjililitan airfield, Batavia, Java and flew Glenn Martin B-10 bombers; known as the export Model 139WH-3 and 139WH-3A.

If I understand Dutch practice at the time, 83 would be the carbine's number within that unit.
Any information, and corrections would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might have better luck on the Luger Forum. The Dutch KNIL Lugers, had brass plates soldered to their frames. With similar unit markings? I use to own one.

I believe members of the Luger Forum who also own these KNIL lugers. Have researched these lugers extensively. If memory serves? There is also a book on Dutch Lugers.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Another good option would be the Mannlicher forum on the gunboards site.

What you say sounds reasonable. Has it been converted to .303?
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I posted my question over at the Luger forum and got only the following reply (so far)
    quote:Verl. as an abbreviation has little to do with vliegtuig. The best I can come up with is that it is a 'Verlichtingsgroep' (lighting group), perhaps a group that managed search lights.

The carbine is still chambered in its original Dutch 6.5x53R.