In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help identify handguns please..

bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
I bought some reloading scales from a guy in town that were his fathers who passed away. He asked me if I wanted these handguns as he had no use for them and was going to throw them away.The middle gun is stamped Frontier on top strap and the top gun is stamped I J 1900...any help would be appreciated..I really like the custom grips on the top one...thanks.

[img][/img]69bca236-70bb-4137-a545-1ddae3cd36de.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The I J 1900 is an Iver Johnson Model 1900, a real $2 pistol in those days. It looks in good condition and is worth more now.

The "Frontier" is probably a Belgian gun made to sell a lot cheaper than a Colt, Smith, or Webley.

The little spur trigger revolver could be any one of a hundred different "Suicide Specials" made by several manufacturers with a variety of exciting trade names like "Tramp's Terror."

Zhuk shows the Belgian Frontier in .42 Russian, an obscure predecessor to the .44 S&W Russian. But if it was imported to the USA, it was likely .44 R or .44 WCF.
    Is it marked with an R, W, or 1873?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found a similar "Frontier" revolver, in one of my references. It as HC suggests, is identified as being of Belgian manufacture.

The trigger guard spur, is a very interesting feature. As it suggests that the "Frontier" was manufactured for sale in Czarist Russia. This spur was used as a rest, for the middle finger. And revolvers with it are known as the cavalry model. Hundreds of thousands of S & W revolvers, with similar trigger guard spurs. Were sold to Russia in the 1870's.

The caliber is probably 44 Russian, same as the S & W revolvers.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caliber of the Belgian "Frontier" is more likely .44-40, and I've also seen them marked Frontier Army and Frontier Bulldog.
    Sears listed them at $3.65 in 1904 "For the person who does not do much shooting"...

Remove left grip of the I. J. and list the hidden serial number & caliber, and Goforth's book will identify year made.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hrf
    Caliber of the Belgian "Frontier" is more likely .44-40, and I've also seen them marked Frontier Army and Frontier Bulldog.
    Sears listed them at $3.65 in 1904 "For the person who does not do much shooting"...

Remove left grip of the I. J. and list the hidden serial number & caliber, and Goforth's book will identify year made.

EDIT #1,

For S & G, I dug out my 1902 Sears catalog. To compare the price of a new Colt, Single Action Army. To the $3.65, for the Belgian revolver. The new Colts in any caliber, were going for $13.20 in 1902.