In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sluged .22-250

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to slug a .22-250 muzzle and used a .22 magnum bullet driven into the base of the bullet, got a nice impression. I got a measurement of 2.19 and .225 with both a mic and caliper. I tried to find some corresponding information on the internet to see what the condition of the muzzle is and I could find no matching information to determine the wear of the barrel, can you help please.

Emmett

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .22 WRM is less than .224 in nominal form. The best bet is to obtain a piece of pure unjacked lead, if you have to take an UNLOADED bullet and melt the lead out of the jacket. Take a section of it that is larger than the bore and use a soft - aluminum or brass - rod to drive it through the barrel. Then measure that for the dimensions of your barrel. If you shine a bright light at an angle into the muzzle and rotate the barrel you may be able to see a defect. More often the wear is at the throat of the chamber and requires specialized optics to see.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the best sign of barrel wear is the target.
    When the average group size increases by 50%, many shooters will replace the barrel.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I think the best sign of barrel wear is the target.
    When the average group size increases by 50%, many shooters will replace the barrel.

+1000

The 22/250 won't wear the muzzle end no where near as bad as the throat of the chamber end.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want to sell the rifle and don't want to take it out and set it up on a target. If the .22 WRM is .224 the bullet I put in should have fallen in, I had to drive the bullet into the muzzle and I made a very good inspection of the bullet and the barrel made a very good print on the bullet .006 difference from the rifling. I made the measurement of the bullet a number of time before I decide that they were correct. Thanks, for the information and I get the chamber is the only place you get ware from the gunsmiths around here because they don't ME tools but you also hear that the tighter the muzzle the better the shooter and there has to be some ware in this rifle.

Thanks

Emmett
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Look up the bore from the breech end. If it has a throat left then the muzzle is not worn.

If the throat is gone, who cares what the muzzle wear is.

Bottom line: Your attempt to describe muzzle condition is not worthwhile. Describe throat condition. a 22-250 is not a Garand or '03 Springfield.

PS - the bore should be .219, with .224 grooves.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Knocking a .22 lead bullet down a 22 bore will expand the bullet to fit.
    As you're getting .219 and .225, you're filling out.
    I don't like the .225 measurement and suspect the groove diameter if you aren't getting one inch or better at 100 yds.
    If present accuracy is the issue and if you could get .225 or .226 bullets. I'd give that a try.
    On muzzle wear: muzzle gaging didn't exist during the M-1's service life. There wasn't a muzzle bore gage, only a Breech Bore Gage to measure advance of the throat through erosion.
    Muzzle wear is due to the use of steel cleaning rods in cleaning rifles from the muzzle.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doing what you are doing, there is a greater chance of you screwing up the crown, than properly measuring muzzle wear.

As has been stated, the 22-250 is not a military style rifle where as muzzle wear is a tool of condition. Most 22-250 rifles that go south in accuracy, are because they are missing the first 3-4 inches of rifling in the chamber throat area.

That is what you need to be looking for, rather than trying to trash the crown on the muzzle.

Best