In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 1860

billvabillva Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine was given from his grandfather's estate, several firearms including Colt 1860 revolver. It is in wonderful condition in every aspect. His concern is long-term storage. What is the best manner in which he should store the firearm? The obvious would be to ensure that it's kept dry & oiled, climate controlled environment etc. But what about in a case/not in a case. I have heard people say that you should not keep guns in cases for long periods of time and others who oppose that concept. With a item of this condition with the potential history & value with it, really leaves no room for error.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Aaron

Comments

• billvabillva Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a group of guns and am interested in determining the value of a 45 Cal 1860 Colt revolver. It has a six digit serial number, an eight inch barrel, and in very nice shape. I don't believe it is a replica due to the Colt Patent. I don't know much about this item and any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks BillV
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may still be a repro. We really can't help you without seeing photos, including close-ups. If we can't actually read all markings, including the serial number in multiple places, then the photos aren't good enough.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Neal
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Hi, Bill. The 1860 Colt Army model is .44 caliber, not .45. In any event, you didn't give us the serial number so we can't tell if it's a First or Second generation Colt. It should also have a naval battle scene on the cylinder.

Do all of the serial numbers match? How many screws are on the frame? 3 or 4? Is it cut for a shoulder stock?

You gave very little information. Pictures are definitely needed.
    edited November -1
    This gun has a three screw frame with serial number 208xxx. All numbers match and it is cut for the shoulder stock. There is nothing on the cylinder except "PAT SEPT 10th 1850". I will provide photo's at a later time. Thanks much for your help. quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Hi, Bill. The 1860 Colt Army model is .44 caliber, not .45. In any event, you didn't give us the serial number so we can't tell if it's a First or Second generation Colt. It should also have a naval battle scene on the cylinder.

Do all of the serial numbers match? How many screws are on the frame? 3 or 4? Is it cut for a shoulder stock?

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by billva
    This gun has a three screw frame with serial number 208xxx. All numbers match and it is cut for the shoulder stock. There is nothing on the cylinder except "PAT SEPT 10th 1850". I will provide photo's at a later time. Thanks much for your help. quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

OK, that helps, although Colt never put xxx in their serial numbers. However, that six-digit series indicates it may be a "2nd Generation" model or a non-Colt as the last serial number for the original 1860 Army was 200500 in 1873.

Looking forward to the pics.
    edited November -1
    Here are a few pics that hopefully help. Thanks again.[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]. I hope the pics show up as im new to posting
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

OK, that helps, although Colt never put xxx in their serial numbers. However, that six-digit series indicates it may be a "2nd Generation" model or a non-Colt as the last serial number for the original 1860 Army was 200500 in 1873.
    edited November -1
    You can't post pics directly from your computer. You need to upload them to a picture-hosting website.

See this thread: http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
    edited November -1
    Pics added,iddBuEUFjf0pfFjMijip33AGedjidytgAR1j

[/quote]
    edited November -1

[/quote]
    OK, I was able to see the pics on ImageShack. I didn't realize it was a "fluted cylinder" model when I mentioned the naval scene.

You have a "2nd Generation" Colt model F1203, produced between July, 1980 and October, 1981. The serial number range was 207330 through 211262.

Without the original box and paperwork, it would probably sell in the $500 range.
    edited November -1
    Thank you Very much for your input Spider as I really had no idea as to what I had. You were a tremendous help.

OK, I was able to see the pics on ImageShack. I didn't realize it was a "fluted cylinder" model when I mentioned the naval scene.

You have a "2nd Generation" Colt model F1203, produced between July, 1980 and October, 1981. The serial number range was 207330 through 211262.

Without the original box and paperwork, it would probably sell in the $500 range.
    [/quote]
    edited November -1
    Thank you Very much for your input Spider as I really had no idea as to what I had. You were a tremendous help.

[/quote]
    You're very welcome. Those pics did the trick! [:)]