In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Webley MK VI Alterations

GeneralGeorgeGeneralGeorge Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
I bought this revolver a few months ago at auction. The owner says he had never fired it but understood it had been slightly cylinder shaved to take Colt Long .45 and still be able to use the original .455. I got some original WWII ammo and it seems to fit fine. I tried to put a round of Colt long in it and it would only go in about 3/4 of the way into the cylinder. I'm guessing the cylinder is tapered. I don't think the cylinder could have been shaved much because all the serial numbers are visible. When a .455 round is in the chamber and the pistol barrel is tilted up the round backs out of the cylinder slightly. I will inclose images. I have read that this model could use the Colt Long. Is this correct? Can you tell me what was required to be done to modify it and after modification should it be able to fire both types of ammo. The gun is still well blued except the back of the cylinder which is shiny steel. Does that indicate a shave? Is it safe to use with .455. Thanks much for your help. I tried to insert a couple of images but could not figure out how to do it.

Comments

• ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the original .455 round's rim has extra room then it was cut enough for Cal..45 ACP or Auto rim. Not .45 Long Colt. Was common back in the day when these came in because the .455 round has always been in short supply.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As previous poster noted. The Mark VI cylinder is to short to chamber 45 LC.

The only British military revolvers, that could be reworked to function with the 45 LC. That I have run across. Have been the large frame Smith & Wesson, Hand Ejectors. Years ago I had a early English contract Triple Lock,that had been altered for 45 LC.

Your MK 6 will function fine, with 45 ACP. As long as you use clips. I bought my from Ranch Products in Ohio, years ago. Don't use any hot, red line, 45 ACP loads though. The MK 6 wasn't built, to take stout high pressure loads.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you think additional modifications, slug the bore.
    If it's over .451" forget it.
    I had a New Service Colt 455 in the Army that wouldn't shoot 45ACP well.
    Accuracy wasn't worth a hoot because of bore dimensional differences.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I presume if the rear of the cylinder's been cut to accept 45 ACP it will also chamber 45 Auto Rim?
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "I presume if the rear of the cylinder's been cut to accept 45 ACP it will also chamber 45 Auto Rim?"......................yup, .45 acp with 'clips', .45 auto rim without
  • GeneralGeorgeGeneralGeorge Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would .45 auto be too hot for this antique
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .45 ACP standard pressure is greater than proof pressure for .455.

I think the reason you don't see more about kaBoomed Webleys is that the windage around a hard .451" bullet in a .456"+ barrel bleeds off some of the pressure. But mostly that the Webleys aren't shot much.

If I wanted to shoot one, I would handload .45 Auto Rim with .45 LC bullets and mild loads.
  • GeneralGeorgeGeneralGeorge Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much for the advice and your knowledge. I will probably never fire this weapon. When I have a piece such as this I just like to have all the necessary and know its usable. I just like the history and the beauty of fine design and craftsmanship. Just hold and look at it and imagine all the people and places it has been.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never actually slugged the bore on mine but had a round with no powder stick a hardball slug half way down the bore. Drove the bullet out with a wooden dowel and it had fully engaged the rifling. Don't shoot it a lot but never had any problems. These things are built like a tank. Only use standard velocity ammo. It is a lot more accurate with hardball than lead bullets for some reason. It is my house gun.