In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is this an old iver johnson???

robdrobd Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello.
family member has this old shotgun and I'm not sure who it's made by or what it's worth...I believe it's a 12ga but not even sure about that....only marking is the serial number and the US made mark.......... anybody know what this is? I don't have this in my possession but if you need more info I can find out.....Thanks

yT1ld1E.jpg
Y3MVan3.jpg
iMODDIx.jpg
BG9ic4C.jpg

Comments

• hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably. Serial number is in right place and the late Bill Goforth said shotguns with 2 letter serial suffixes were made in 1930s.

Frame countour, pins and location look exactly like I. J. Champion model.

The fancy U. S. logo was likely used by some department or hardware store I. J. made guns for.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never seen the "U S" marking on a shotgun? Iver Johnson, did use the "U S" marking on a line of inexpensive revolvers, they made. My understanding is that the "U S" marked revolvers. Were sold through mail order/catalogs, by 3rd party vendors.
  • robdrobd Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys... I also cant find any I.J. shotguns with the US logo on it when I used google. My uncle says there's no other manufacturer markings anywhere on the gun either!!
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks to be in good shape. Careful measurements of the chamber are in order. Length of shells varied back then, could be an oddball 14 gauge.

It looks like it has a rebounding hammer, which is a nice feature.

I'd value it in the same range as other single shot like the HR Topper.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Iver Johnson Champion and the one you have pictured is a spittin' image of mine. Cool old gun!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have one in 16 gauge. Measure your chamber length and determine gauge. Or have a gunsmith do it. If it locks up tight with no undue wobble, these were made well into the smokeless era and is fine to shoot.

That said, touch off a 12 gauge in one of these with that light little frame with a snap shot at a rabbit and you'll know it... recoil pads are kind of a must with these.
  • robdrobd Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks all! I told uncle it's value is probably $100-$300 max....He's not looking to sell , he just stumbled upon it at his late father-in-laws place