In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington Rand (lockout) part 2

coltnutzcoltnutz Member Posts: 206 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
Joe......you are so right! I'm off this deal now, thanks

Neal, thanks for your info as well

rufe-snow, I agree with you - seller is probably very proud of his gun even though its a shooter. He will sell for $1,000

My ramblings locked me out from my earlier post today.

Here are some more numbers on the Remington Rand pistol that the seller provided: (I still did not have an opportunity to see the gun, I'm getting this info in bits and pieces)

ASSY
SO (or SC or 80) 1755
interarms
alexandria va

For those who replied earlier, do this new information help determine anything? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO it's time to cut to the chase. Whats is he trying to get out of it, and what does he think it is?

If he feels it's a valuable collectors item rather then shooter, just walk away from the deal. A Interarms import that probably a reworked W W II 1911A1 with pitting on the slide, is not going to have any collectors value.

New, Rock Island 1911A1's are advertised for sale on the net in the $375-$425 range. This price doesn't include taxes, shipping fees or dealer fees.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Just to elaborate on the background of this pistol's manufacturer, in your previous thread nmyers stated, ' But, to pick nits, Remington Rand was a WW2 contractor that produced "M1911A1" pistols (while taking a break from producing typewriters).

This is true, but the Remington portion of Remington Rand was in fact Remington Firearms.

They bought up Rand Kardex and Powers Accounting Machine to form this typewriter/business machine company back in the late 20's, then landed a contract to produce 1911A1's during WWII.

They actually ended up producing more of these models than Colt during this period.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, without getting into the history of Remington & the Union Metallic Cartridge Co, the only part of this gun that dates to WW2 is the slide. I believe Speedshift is correct, the gun is likely an Interarms 1911A1 (the receiver IS the gun), & the receiver was made in the Phillipines; the additional numbers you provided are the markings on a Viet Nam era USGI replacement barrel (currently available for about $50).

It sounds like the seller has grossly overestimated the value of his gun.

You can extend the number of replies by using the edit feature to add additional text to your first post. (Click on the icon that looks like a pencil & pad.)

Neal

Remington_1.jpg
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If it is marked INTERARMS. Then This is NOT a collector grade of 1911A1 pistol in any shape or form. Walk away would be my advise.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    ...and you haven't even seen the gun yet?

Well, I digress.

Why don't you go over to the auctions, search under Remington Rand, or Ithaca (if you want a WWII piece), and get a 'feel' for what's out there. At least you'll have a photograph! More than you have now!

If you lookup Colt, you may get an earlier version than the WWII type, or a civillian model.

Hell, it may wind up being love-at-first-sight! *!! (Over to the auctions, that is!)

Best, Joe