In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

decent 7.62x25 bulk

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
My inventory must be off....I find myself in the need of decent 7.62x25 in bulk. Any milsurp that shoots well is fine.

I bought my last batch over 10 years ago. Of those, some cases had split necks after firing, but it shot well .

Who's sampled what's available now and will give me their opinion ?

Thanks Loads

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    What do you plan on shooting it through? bulgarian, Romanian, or Polish is all good.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't buy ammo from the 50's unless at a real discount.
    The 80's ammo is good with no case splitting.
    There was plenty of 80's Roumanian last I looked.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    gotstolefrom.......several years ago I bought a case of Norinco (marked 847/83) and am still working my way through it. It is great 7.62x25! While most Chinese ammo I have purchased over the years smokes like crazy, this stuff is clean and always works! Don't know if any is still around, but if so, can recommend it.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gotstolefrom
    My inventory must be off....I find myself in the need of decent 7.62x25 in bulk. Any milsurp that shoots well is fine.

I bought my last batch over 10 years ago. Of those, some cases had split necks after firing, but it shot well .

Who's sampled what's available now and will give me their opinion ?

Thanks Loads

Most of the surplus is from the 1980s and before.

Whatever you were shooting 10 years ago is probably still around and of equal quality!
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    The last case of 80's Romanian I bought consisted of about 12% split necks. These were culled and the bullets were pulled (which could be done by hand). I didn't shoot them because the bullets, being only loosely secured in the cases, can deep-seat upon striking the feed ramp, and raise pressures. I also bought 3 cases of 7.62x25 from Century Arms, two cases of which turned out to be the exact Bulgarian 'bad stuff' (3 * 10 52) that was widely reported to be wrecking CZ52's a few years back. I believed that all of that stuff had been dumped into the Atlantic a long time ago, but some is being trotted out yet again. I scrapped it, and there will be no further orders for anything from that vendor.

The Polish and Yugo seems to be all good, but a hard primer is encountered on occasion which requires a second strike. Nothing was a hangfire, they either went immediately or not at all, and second strikes were required only once in every 70 or 80 rounds.

The best I've found lately is the Czech stuff which comes on 8-shot strippers, in 40-round boxes. No splits, perfect ignition in pistols, and very clean ammo.
  • remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    Try AIM Surplus.
  • BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most mil surplus ammo that I have bought has a steel jacket or core with a copper plate finish. It seems to shoot OK but I wonder about the steel for long term use. Is this a problem? I shoot a CZ-52.