In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COLT COMMANDER 45 ACP

JUSTADUDE2154821JUSTADUDE2154821 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Recently purchased a well used Colt 45acp shoots great,very accurate, slide is tight, however the ejected brass lands on my forehead 5 out of 7 shots. Ejector looks good but I'm no expert. Any idea's

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You can TUNE both the extractor and ejector to get the empty to go more out the side than up . The ejection port in the slide can also be Modified /lowered however this will not be something that you would want to do on a collector grade pistol . Get yourself a Commander ejector it has a extended nose and is a easy fix in over 75 % of the time.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PS has given you excellent advice, specially about the ejector. Great care has to be taken though, in removing the original ejector. Specially, if it's a alloy framed Commander?

Very small pin retains it in the frame. The correct size punch is a must, to get it out without damaging the frame. Even after getting the retaining pin out successfully. The ejector "legs" are a interference fit to the frame. Great care has to be exercised, to get it out without screwing up the alloy frame.

After that your home free. Brownells, sell aftermarket, hardened steel ejectors. That are a drop-in fit. You also don't have to replace the retaining pin. As the slide will retain the ejector in place.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Pull the slide and loo up the mag well.
    The ejector should be even with it and the angle on the tip should match it.
    It helps if the ejection port is lowered [;)]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never fooled with commander's but extractor (slight bevel at top edge) and the radius on the extractor can be tuned on a government model to steer the empty clear of you and not bash the case in the side of the slide. There is at least on really good book for tuning up 45's. I gave mine away 25 years ago when I thought I was done with autoloader's.

I'm not sure this was the book I had, but I like his S&W wheel gun book. The gun show book guys should have several you look to see if they cover E&E tuning before buying.

Spare parts on hand before you start tuning is a good plan. It is a lot easier to take more metal off then to put it back on. Firing is the proof it works correctly, not manual ejection.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-M1911-M1911A1-Pistols-Commercial/dp/B000HEGCQ0/ref=sr_1_6/184-4363821-5738229?ie=UTF8&qid=1414619751&sr=8-6&keywords=1911+book
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PS, since it IS a Comander, it probably HAS a Commander ejector.
    DCS, the Commander ejector protrudes over the magazine well to make up for the shorter slide travel.

A gunsmith once told me that the main adjustment was to the extractor hook. But when I sent in my gun , the enlarged ejection port had gotten to be important.... For another $40 in his pocket.
  • Options
    JUSTADUDE2154821JUSTADUDE2154821 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks ALL for the knowledge
    Best regards