In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt reissue 1851 Navy 2nd generation

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me what a Colt manufactured reissue 1851 .36 caliber Navy revolver is worth?

I have a chance to pick one up that was made in the mid 70s, Colt's Black Powder Series, (pre- signature series). The revolver is unfired but has no box or paperwork. Guy wants $500. for it and I have no idea what it's worth. I do know that the later Signature series were made for Colt but not by Colt as I believe this one was.
Any information would be helpful.
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Wallie, I guess that's a starting point. The one I'm looking at is a .36 cal rather than a .44 and doesn't have a turn line as it's never been fired. So I guessing that the $500. asking price is not out of line.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms". Has a extensive history of the Colt Black Powder replicas. The 2nd generation were made from the early 70's, to the early 80's. The 1851 Navy was probably most common. Thousands were made.

Personally unless you were buying it as a shooter? I wouldn't buy it for $500, unless it came complete. With original box, paperwork and accessories.

If you have a interest in collecting, the Colt made 2nd generation replicas. you should acquire, the above Blue Book.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These guns are at least equal to the originals quality wise.
    I have a stainless 1860 that's a beauty and shoots very well.
    They don't have the gain twist of the originals but that's academic.
    I did have a cased 1862 Pocket Police where the hammer wouldn't reach the nipples and the powder flask wouldn't seal and cut off, neither did the mould.
    ColT made good on the gun but not on the flask or mould. The case was also cheesy, unlike originals.I sold it ASAP.
    Their story was the cased sets weren't made to shoot but for display.
    At that time Colt had non gun people handling their phones.
    Things did get better so I'd buy the Navy.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Is it a "C" series or an "F" series? What's the serial number? The "C" series are worth a bit more, serial numbers 4201-23401.
    edited November -1
    Spider, I believe it is a "C series" as the serial number is 23116 manufactured, I believe, in 1977.

Anything you could tell me would be a help.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

Spider, I believe it is a "C series" as the serial number is 23116 manufactured, I believe, in 1977.

Anything you could tell me would be a help.

OK, first off, this "F" series model is overpriced for its condition: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=449293532

Secondly, for your "C" series model, I'd be more comfortable in the $400-$425 range without the box and paperwork.

Here are two first year, factory-cased "C' series sets with matching serial numbers & accessories that just sold on 10/25/14 for $920 for the pair:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=447555001
    edited November -1
    Thanks Spider, I guess I'll have to pass on this pistol though. I want it but the guy just doesn't get the fact that the box and paperwork is worth $100. If he would come down to $400. or $425. like you suggest I would snap it up.
    edited November -1
    The guy finally caved and agreed to sell it for $400. so I guess I have a a new pistol.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

The guy finally caved and agreed to sell it for $400. so I guess I have a a new pistol.

Now that's a good deal! Congrats! [:)]