In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Serial # question

chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
I was at a gun show recently and picked up a H&R old revolver to look at. The butt of the gun had the serial number scratched out . I pointed this out to the dealer and his reply was that it was OK because the gun had a serial number under the grip panel.

I don't think that passes muster but I'm interested in your opinions !!

Thanks

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Federal law applies to serial number on firearms which at any time have moved through interstate commerce:

27 CFR 478.34 - Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.

No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

State law may prohibit the possession of any firearm which has had its serial number altered...period.

The question is whether or not this was the actual serial number or something else.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The actual entire serial number on some of those revolvers was stamped in the frame under the grips. Other numbers were not the actual SN, but assembly numbers to keep parts together.