In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W spur trigger 22 revolver

GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
A friend showed me an old S&W top break 5 shot 22 caliber revolver with a spur trigger. I cannot find pictures of this model in any of my gun books. It looks like a model 2 but all model 2's I found are center fire. Any ideas? (I know pictures would help but I did not have my camera. I will try to get pictures later.)

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be cheap copy of a S&W, could be a Bubba conversion, could be legit, could be a prototype.

Back in the 20's my dad and his twin brother converted one to 22 Short. They made the chamber inserts with a file and a egg beater drill. It was apparently very good shooter. Their much older brother delighted in outshooting the boys at the local gun club with it.

added Some pic's of the ends of the barrel and cylinder would have been nice. Same for the frame where the firing pin comes threw.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures or a detailed listing of all markings and their location are needed...

Mike
  • GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely not a copy. Top of barrel markings are hard to read but do say SMITH AND (or &, not sure as I do not have it in front of me) Wesson and JULY 16. I will try to get pictures and more info tomorrow.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen pictures of gunsmith conversions of S&W topbreaks to .22 on the S&W board. Some were of factory quality.
    Anxiously awaiting close clear pictures.
  • GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More Info. I went by and took a few pictures and got what markings I could make out. The barrel is 5 inches long and has not been relined or modified in any way. This is a 5 shot revolver and the cylinder will accept 22 LR cartridges. The extractor will remove fired 22 LR cases. The top of the barrel is marked 'SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS USA PAT JAN 17'. There is another line below this that looks like more patent dates. Due to poor lighting I could only make out a few numbers and letters but nothing else. Also I could not get any useful pictures of the markings. Maybe these pictures will enable someone to determine the model.

[img][/img]DSCF10016.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF10028.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF10039.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF100412.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF100512.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF100614.JPG
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gunswapper
    More Info. I went by and took a few pictures and got what markings I could make out. The barrel is 5 inches long and has not been relined or modified in any way. This is a 5 shot revolver and the cylinder will accept 22 LR cartridges. The extractor will remove fired 22 LR cases. The top of the barrel is marked 'SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS USA PAT JAN 17'. There is another line below this that looks like more patent dates. Due to poor lighting I could only make out a few numbers and letters but nothing else. Also I could not get any useful pictures of the markings. Maybe these pictures will enable someone to determine the model.

[img][/img]DSCF10016.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF10028.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF10039.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF100412.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF100512.JPG

[img][/img]DSCF100614.JPG

The way the barrel protrudes from the front sight, doesn't appear factory to me. It looks like a over sized liner, was soldered inside the original barrel. Check the cylinder closely, see if the 5 chambers in it, also give the appearance of being reworked.

In light of the above. My WAG is that it is a Model 1 1/2. That has been reworked years ago. As almost 100,000 were made between the 1870's and 1890's. They aren't rare, but given the rework might be of interest to a collector of unusual S & W's.
    edited November -1
    I think it used to be a No 2 .38 Single Action with barrel and cylinder expertly lined.
    The firing pin and breech face would be places to look for signs of the conversion.

The nut and bolt at the hinge are a field repair, S&W did not make it that way.

If you showed it on the S&W board, somebody there might have thoughts.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will almost never see a barrel that extends further than the front sight on a factory made - production gun circulating in the United states.

And to my knowledge never on any smith and Wesson manufactured pistol.

Once upon a time many European countries had a prohibition against importing suicide special short barreled revolvers.

Manufacturers quickly found a way to circumvent this law...

Belgian and Spanish gunmakers would export a revolver with a 6" - 8" barrel with the front sight mounted at the 2" or 3" mark.

The buyer would then remove the excess material and hence ended up with a subnosed piece.

I daresay very few of these guns were left unaltered - I have only ever handled one example - in its original "full length" configuration accompanied by its original full length box.

I agree that this gun was professionaly altered.

If you have the serial number (under the grips - on the frame) someone may be able to tell you when it was made and what the original caliber was.

Mike
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    You will almost never see a barrel that extends further than the front sight on a factory made - production gun circulating in the United states.

And to my knowledge never on any smith and Wesson manufactured pistol.

Hardly in the same league, but look at a Registered Magnum.
    The rib and sight ramp stop short of the muzzle by a small but noticeable amount, entirely unlike the later Model 27.