In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

California gun question

brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hi, Experts. I've been told by the local sporting goods store that there are only a couple guns, I forget which ones but think they were the Colt Python models, which can be legally shipped into the state from out of state. In other words, almost no make and model gun can be legally shipped here. Does any one reading this have accurate, current info. on this subject? Thanks for any help. Jim

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google CDJ for the complete list.[V][V][V]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not even close to being accurate.

As far as HANDGUNS, go to this website-

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

There 744 models on that approved list.

And you need to find another sporting goods store not populated by those eat up with the *.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It sounds like your store wants you to buy what they have in their own display case and nothing else. In addition to the hundreds of current handguns on the list linked by 11b6r, numerous Curio and Relic handguns are also approved for sale in CA. Go out and find a new store, one which is willing to handle your out of state transfers.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also the "Internet" Transfer Fee and State Tax on top of shipping will add $100+ or more to the end of the deal.

I think the dude don't wanna do the transfer. Threw out the Python to scare you off with the going price [:D].

Go to an actual "Gun Store" and see if they can order the one you want if still available in CA. Or find a seller in the state where you are willing to go and paper the gun.

How bad do you want that Tarus?
  • big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brummiejim
    Hi, Experts. I've been told by the local sporting goods store that there are only a couple guns, I forget which ones but think they were the Colt Python models, which can be legally shipped into the state from out of state. In other words, almost no make and model gun can be legally shipped here. Does any one reading this have accurate, current info. on this subject? Thanks for any help. Jim

The list provided in a previous post shows the current handguns that can be shipped to CA for sale from FFL stock. There aren't 744 "models" OK'd for sale but models with variations that are OK'd. A Smith & Wesson with 4 different barrel lengths would be considered 4 different guns on the list. Sounds like alot it's but a fraction of what folks in other states can buy. We should remember also that a "single action exemption" applies for SA revolvers (yes, S & W, Colt, Ruger can temporarily be made SA and imported) and there are exemptions for C & R handguns & family transfers.

All new model semi auto handguns are as a practical matter banned from FFL import because they lack microstamping. There is one Ruger and one S & W pistol on "the list" and no Colt semi pistols. The list is a defacto ban on new semi-auto pistols in CA.

Your FFL's reference to "only the Colt Python" being on the list may have been a reference to the fact that until recently only a Colt Python stainless was on the list. It's now off, so there are no Colt handguns available for "from FFL dealer stock".

The list is being challenged in court. Hopefully the judges don't take the same "744 is alot" approach. Because I don't care if it's alot, I want to be able to buy what everybody else can. Whoever said "move" is right - 4 years to retirement and CA in my rear view mirror.
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am still stuck in cali, but my local indoor shooting range is happy to do internet transfers as long as the item isn't one they stock themselves. And yes it is about $100 between shipping and their tack on fee which gets them a reasonable profit.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To move I would have to leave Shewhomustbeobeyed behind since she won't leave the grandchildren.
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a fair trade ......

quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    To move I would have to leave Shewhomustbeobeyed behind