In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Questions for you German 98K experts

ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a JP Sauer (code 147/ 1940) recently. Appears to the matching with a three digit serial #. The stock has me confused. It is walnut and has the cupped butt plate. Stock is numbered to the gun as is the butt plate. Any ideas on this?

Comments

• hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stock Should be Laminated with a Flat Butt plate. for the1440 147 JP Sauer.

Very few 98k's were made with walnut stock after 1938.

Might be a arsenal replacement stock, some Walnut/ Hardwood was used in the later parts of the war with Cupped butt plates.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the stock number in the barrel channel or left side of the buttstock?
  • ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is on the bottom of the butt stock in the usual place I have seen on other 98's.
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it might be a replacement, possibly wartime - but without images, were pretty much educated-guessing here (the fonts used are unique).
    If a cleaning rod is fitted in the stock, what length is it? They will be either 25 (early) or 30cm (late) in length. If it's absent, pop the action out of the stock & note where the threaded nut (anchor point for the cleaning rod) is located. This will help to determine when the stock was produced.
    There may also be an internal serial number in the barrel channel & handguard, & if either is handwritten in pencil, you might have field-replaced lumber.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ammo guy
    It is on the bottom of the butt stock in the usual place I have seen on other 98's.

If stamped on the left running length wise, it's a Russian Capture, if crass grain, it's Yugo or Czech. Any of the numbers electro penciled on the hardware?
    Edit:
    Ammoguy, This thread is a guessing game without pics.
    To my knowledge, the Germans didn't stamp numbers "on" the stocks, they got stamped "inside", if at all, or penciled.
    The bad news is, I suspect you have a Russian or Slavic capture/refurb.
    The good news is, having one with all stamped and matching numbers is a rarity by itself!
    Does it have an import mark on it?
    Post some pics, stock marking and receiver ring, top and sides, and barrel markings in front of the ring.
  • ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serial # on the stock is cross grain. No electo markings. I think it is probably a late war arsenal rework. Being matching I can't imagine it was not done by the German' at some point during the war. No # inside the barrel channel.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ammo guy
    The serial # on the stock is cross grain. No electo markings. I think it is probably a late war arsenal rework. Being matching I can't imagine it was not done by the German' at some point during the war. No # inside the barrel channel.

I use to work with some Black Forest elves, who specialized in 98 K's. Numbering a stock, wouldn't phase them a bit.