In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Correct Pre-64 M-70 Front Sight

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 standard grade rifle (22 Hornet) built in 1950 and want to replace the rifle's current front sight blank with an original blade sight. There are many available on the Internet, all claiming to be original blade sights for the Pre-64 Model 70, but I've found many variations--different heights; some have silver or gold beads, or no bead at all; some marked Lyman. Even Numrich {elsewhere}s 3 different examples. How do I correctly identify an original front sight blade for a Pre-64 Model 70 standard grade rifle? Are there any markings that would help identify an original? Is there an after-market option that would be indistinguishable from the original once it's installed? Is there any place to purchase an original front sight without having to go through one of the on-line auction sites? Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments