In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Daly Single Barrel Trap

Bub IVBub IV Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a friend who has a 1976 catalog showing a Single Barrel Trap gun by Charles Daly that weighs 6 1/2 lbs. as stated in the advertisement. He needs a very light trap gun because of a disability, however any Charles Daly I can find weighs about 8 1/2 lbs. or more. Do any of you Daly collectors know of this lite weight Trap or is it a misprint. Please help as he is desperate.
Bub IV

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd guess that it is a misprint because trap guns are generally a little heavier to absorb some recoil.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Charles Daly had guns built by several suppliers. Since a "trap" gun has features intended to promote follow-through and patterning high it is possible that a single barrel model was available in a lighter weight, but it would be seen as a "specialty" item since serious trap shooting involves thousands of rounds per year and most shooters want some extra weight to decrease the recoil velocity.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot one for many years, it was my first real trap gun. I put at least 20000 round on it before I sold it. One main sprong broke that I had replaced with coil, It was light ish but I shot it well IIRC it had 34 inch barrels
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    The early guns (1933 started) were "Prussian Guns" and the only listing is for the "Sextuple Single-Barrel Trap" in the "Empire or Regent" grade. No weight is given in any of the listings. These guns sell for a few thousand dollars when you find one.

The later "Miroku" guns (1968) were a similar weight to the Winchester 101, so that would appear to be heavier then 6 1/2 lbs.

If weight is an issue you might have him look at a light semi-auto (6.5-7 lbs) or some of the single imports (some of the cheap one's are light). Find the weight first and then have the gun modified for trap.

Unusual request for a trap gun, as stated reason in above posts. What type of disability? There are many ways to overcome a problem like adding weight to change the balance, or a custom stock to reduce recoil. I'm confident that if the group knows what he is attempting to compensate for, the answers of how to do it will be much better.

Good luck
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i got a good deal on a charles daly 500 double barrel 12ga field gun, it was built by the same japanese company that built my browning bss sporter double barreled 20 ga. the owner didn,t know what he had and let it go cheap thinking it was a cheap junk shotgun as it was built in japan. eastbank.
  • Options
    Bub IVBub IV Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He showed me the catalog he saw. It is a 1976 Gun Digest and it does show in the description of the Single Barrel Charles Daly Trap gun as a weight of 6 1/4 lbs. I personally think it was a misprint. Anyone ever heard of such a gun? It would be too light for taking a couple hundred shots a day, but he still thinks he might find one.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 75 edition of the shooter's bible has 6 Chas Daly shotguns. The only single barrel listed is a humpback Browning clone. It also the only one with a listed weight of 73/4#.

The 78 edition has no Daly's listed.

Shooting 7/8 oz. superlight loads out of a vent ribbed single barrel older H&R Topper should be tolerable in the sub 6# class.

I got 25/25 once at the Red Mountain outside of Phoenix range with my 20 inch barrel Topper 48. It would set in the waiting rack by about 1/2 inch. Several people ask if it was a class 3 weapon?