In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M-1 Garand Throat & Muzzle Grading

cwrodenbergcwrodenberg Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
How are letters given in the grading system by CMP. For example ? What is letter "H" ?what is the scale ? Thanks, recent purchaser

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Rack Grades are no longer sold through mail order, but can sometimes be found in the CMP stores.

Field Grades: Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than "3" on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 - well within US Army standards

Service Grades: Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

The throat wear measurement runs from 0-10, lower numbers indicating less wear.

Muzzle wear ruins from 0-3, once again, lower numbers indicating less wear.

This is what a set of gages looks like:
    100_1115.jpg

This is what an excellent condition barrel (measuring just 1) looks like:
    HRA%205.62%2015_zpsun9d5oly.jpg

This is what a shot out (the correct term being Field Reject) barrel looks like:
    SA38BR.jpg

The letter H to measure barrel wear is meaningless to me....Anyone have a clue?
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CMP uses a numeric system (& gauges) to measure muzzle wear & throat wear. A new barrel nominally measures .300" in diameter, which would show as "0" on a gauge. Depending upon wear, which end of the barrel, & the gauge used, the reading could get as high as "10".

They describe the measurements on the CMP website in their description of the various grades of M1 rifle.

Neal
  • cwrodenbergcwrodenberg Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Respectfully, Chuck Rodenberg ps: Do you kwow what the yellow tag showing grade " H" means. This came attached to the Garand ?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Any chance of posting a photo of the tag? I am drawing a blank on the letter H being used as a symbol for grading any part of the rifle. If you can't post photos, you can email it to me at markinrancho@att.net and I'll take a look at it.
    edited November -1
    Mark, after taking the class, I bought rack, service, and collector grade metal grades of the rifle. I decided to sell the collector grade metal rifle. It is posted with pictures of tag on GB under m1 garand collector grade metal. Thanks again, Chuck
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    here you go http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=487902861

I believe you are miss reading this I see 1 + , as in over #1 but less than #2
    edited November -1
    Thanks to Mike and Mark. I really appreciate you both! Chuck Rodenberg
    edited November -1
    I have to admit, that does look like the letter H.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I believe you are miss reading this I see 1 + , as in over #1 but less than #2
    That's what those marks look like to me too.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two 1+ and the H in HRA look exactly the same. No wonder the confusion!