In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paint on stock

TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
We have quite a few old military stocks here. Quite a few have numbers
painted on them.
Most would be nice stocks if it wasn't for the paint.
Is there anything out there that I can use to remove the paint without damaging the old finish?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Goof Off was made to take paint off of hardwood floors.

Lacquer thinner is what we used on hardwood floors.

A heatgun might work ok if you are careful not burn the wood or finish, a softish plastic scraper could help.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even if the paint came off clean, I'd say there'll be a tan line of the numbers left on the stock. Look forward to a total re-finish at the worst.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The numbers are part of the gun's history....leave them alone and shoot the hell out of them.....
    JIM...........
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would love to remove the paint from this rifle:

SAWWIIstockpaint.jpg

....but, I know that Yosh is right; the "tan line" will look terrible. And, if I were to completely strip & refinish the wood, it sure wouldn't look like a rifle that has been in use for 70 years.

Neal
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would agree that period applied numbers should be left alone. nmyers problem is another issue. There are pro's who could remove it and blend the stock back so that it would not be visibale without re finishing the whole stock. I am good with wood re finish and touch up but not that good. I may or may not be worth having it repaired.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JIM STARK
    The numbers are part of the gun's history....leave them alone and shoot the hell out of them.....
    JIM...........

+1000

Those stocks are nice BECAUSE of those paint markings.[;)]
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to use Denatured Alcohol for taking paint off of lacquered finishes on furniture and woodwork.