In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HK P2000 SK - 357 Sig

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have an HK P2000 SK in 40 S & W and a 357 Sig barrel to go with. Most of my "plinking" will be with the 40 but I'll also use the 357 Sig barrel. I'd like to use hardcast lead for economy out of the Sig barrel, finding bullets with a nice flat side for the Sig's short neck is a bit of a challenge. Getting to the correct OAL without having the case mouth pass the bullet side to the ogive is tough too. Does anyone else use cast bullets in the Sig and if so, what works?

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I've had good luck in my SP2340 using .38 148gr. HBWC loaded upside down. You may have to fiddle with OAL or your ramp, but at 850fps, there's no leading at all. Really impressive on a 4"X 4".
    Berry's plated 9mm RN works well too, if you wanna buy 'em.

I usually load a dummy round long, then see if it functions through the mag into the gun. Lead is pretty soft, but the brass in case necks isn't all that hard, either; go easy on your crimp & check for feeding/chambering issues before increasing pressure while crimping.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this one, (120 grain TCBB), they recommend it for 357 SIG. I've used Penn bullets, going back a number of years. They are very high quality, hard cast bullets. Available in different sizes.

During the nobama 22 rimfire famine. When I had a hard time getting .22's. Started using their bullets, loading for centerfire again. 45 ACP and 38 Special.

I specially like their light for caliber, cast bullets in both sizes. Never loaded their bullets, in 357 SIG though. You might consider getting a Lee factory crimp die in 357 SIG, if your having problems crimping the very short neck on the 357 SiG.

https://www.pennbullets.com/9mm/9mm-caliber.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    I've had good luck in my SP2340 using .38 148gr. HBWC loaded upside down. You may have to fiddle with OAL or your ramp, but at 850fps, there's no leading at all. Really impressive on a 4"X 4".
    Berry's plated 9mm RN works well too, if you wanna buy 'em.

I usually load a dummy round long, then see if it functions through the mag into the gun. Lead is pretty soft, but the brass in case necks isn't all that hard, either; go easy on your crimp & check for feeding/chambering issues before increasing pressure while crimping.

I never would have thought of the HBWC. I have a boatload of double base WC and will give it a try. Definitely don't have to worry about running out of straight side on this one. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Try this one, (120 grain TCBB), they recommend it for 357 SIG. I've used Penn bullets, going back a number of years. They are very high quality, hard cast bullets. Available in different sizes.

During the nobama 22 rimfire famine. When I had a hard time getting .22's. Started using their bullets, loading for centerfire again. 45 ACP and 38 Special.

I specially like their light for caliber, cast bullets in both sizes. Never loaded their bullets, in 357 SIG though. You might consider getting a Lee factory crimp die in 357 SIG, if your having problems crimping the very short neck on the 357 SiG.

https://www.pennbullets.com/9mm/9mm-caliber.html

Thanks for the reminder, I've used Penn for years - love their .452 DBWC for the Smith 25. And I use them Penn for 41 AE reloading. Don't know why I drew a blank using them on the Sig. Maybe I'm reaching "saturation point" on all the stuff I reload for. [:(]

I have a taper crimp and that seems to work well
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Berry's hardcast 125 grain flat point .357 bullet with good results. The cone is short and the bearing cylinder surface is long enough for good seating. In my rifled BarSto barrels they don't leave any significant lead at or below 1150.