In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington Single shot identification

fishfinder812fishfinder812 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have just acquired an old Remington single shot that I can not identify!! It is a .32 short or long caliber single shot breech loading rifle with a unique action. The breech block pivots up and exposes the chamber, after the shell is loaded, the breech block swings back down inline and is locked by a stop on the right side of the receiver. A bolt, located in a separate bolt housing is pulled back to cock then fired. The stock is a military style with no barrel bands. The barrel is 22" long and is marked on top: Remington Arms-Union Metallic Cartridge Co. on one line. then: Remington Works,Ilion NY USA-Patented July 22, 1902 on the second line. Open sights are nondescript. The entire action and barrel assembly rest on a flat plate that is 11inches long. I have a photo of the action but I am uncertain how to attach same??

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    It sounds like a Remington Model 6 "falling block" as shown below. This thread at the top of this page shows you how to post pics of your rifle.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

14396205_5.jpg?v=8CF9185C4BB81F0
  • fishfinder812fishfinder812 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely not a model 6, I have two of those. I will upload a photo ASAP. One picture is worth a thousand words!!
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a European derivative of the Warnant Flobert that somebody put a Remington barrel on.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Sounds like a European derivative of the Warnant Flobert that somebody put a Remington barrel on.

That was my first thought, too, but the Remington markings threw me off.

You may be right, Hawk. I don't know of any Remington like that but I'm always willing to learn something new about something old.
    edited November -1
    Still working on a photo. The idea that this may be an adapted Flobert is very interesting! The breech bolt hinges and swings up in a similar fashion to a Flobert, but the housing that contains the bolt is four inches long and hoses a large dolt that strikes the firing pin. So far the Flobert idea has legs!!

I'll try to get some 13 year old to help me with pictures![:D]
    edited November -1
    9R8g3K.jpg

OK so the kid was right. This is how you post a photo. Now do you folks have any idea bout this being a Remington of some sort??
    edited November -1
    Never saw the like.
    I am thinking DIY project gun with Remington barrel because it was available.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deutsche Werke Warnant Patent, with what looks like a Remington #4 or #6 .32RF barrel.
    edited November -1
    The only Deutsche Werke (Ortgies) Warnant-with-striker that I have seen, the whole breech end with striker and cocking knob lifts up to open the action. Also tends to have DW trademark and German proofs.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help with the identification. I had hoped to have a "one of a kind" Remington, but I have to agree that this is some kind of a DIY project. The piece shows a lot of effort on someones part but the craftsman ship is a little on the weak side. Oh, but if this thing could talk!!

Hazard a guess as to a value???