In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gunsmithing question.

buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have been trying to figure out how the cam and the cam castoff are installed on the large frame top-break Forehand & Wadsworth/Hopkins & Allen revolvers. I am wondering if I received the correct part. Also, there is a hole behind where the cam and castoff would be sitting. ( red arrow in photo). Is there another piece that goes in there? I have been unable to find any info as to how this goes together.
Any help would be much appreciated!
100_5367.jpg
100_5363.jpg

Comments

• buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Want to convert a 30-06 to 300 H&H. Would it be "better" to re-chamber or buy a new barrel? Seems like the former would be cheaper, but am I mistaken? Rifle has a magnum length action so no problems with cartridge length.
  • buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello!
    As a hobby, I restore many older revolvers such as the H&R, Iver Johnson, Hopkins & Allen, Forehand & Wadsworth, etc. I can usually get them to index properly, and put them in time. However, the most frustrating of all are the ones that will function perfectly in SA, but the trigger needs to be nudged forward ever so slightly to allow it to be fired in DA. Sometimes it is just a case of wiggling the hammer just a hair to hear a "click" which signals that it will function in DA. I used to think that it was a weak trigger return spring, but that wasn't/isn't the case. I am reluctant to start filing/shaving any metal off the hammer or the lifter.
    Any thoughts on a fix for this problem?
    Thanks!
    Ron
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oil on the sear.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Yep, I just fixed that problem on a Colt DA41 this afternoon. Replaced the rebound lever spring and it functioned fine.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those you list are all a little different internally, and not made to Swiss watch tolerances. Sometimes something as simple as backing out the hammer screw a half turn will solve that problem. And often it is a weak trigger spring.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every case is individual based on usage and oxidation factors.
    Best to closely examine the parts and treat as required. If the revolver was fired frequently a certain way wear could be a issue.
    If the pistol was owned by a tinker the trigger pull may have been tweaked and need an edge.

Like men and dogs they are all different and temperamental.

Have fun its a great venture!