In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

218 Bee, Bolt action vs Lever action???

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
If you were going to buy a 218 Bee, what action would you buy for style and accuracy? Both Winchester 65, Browning 65 and the Marlin 1894 CL are all nice lever's. In bolt Winchester 43, is there other bolt that are factory?? Then there is the Ruger #1B and the Mini Sharps in single action. Of the 3 action which action and model would you buy and why. Thanks for your time and opinion.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bolt-action is the more accurate action type. My preference would be a factory original Winchester Model 43, factory drilled & tapped.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Bert says it all. Winchester 43. Cooper has the model 38 in 218 Bee too. Expensive but very nice.
  • Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guy!
    Sir Bert: At what serial number do the Winchester 43 in the 218 Bee start to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts?
    Thanks for all you do here on Gun Broker!!
    Vernon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Winchester began drilling & tapping the Model 43 in October of 1950, very near serial number 31800.

For those that are interested, I am conducting yet another research survey (for the Model 43), and I am writing an article based on my findings. If you want to participate, please send me a PM, or post a topic about your Model 43. The Polishing Room serialization records are 100% intact for the Model 43, and I can provide the exact date of manufacture for all serial numbers.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Winchester model 43 I have is SN 13383 and is chambered for the 22 hornet.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert is right on the money but in the end it is personal preference. I have two guns in 218 bee. A Browning model 65 lever action and a Taurus Raging Bee with a 10" barrel. I prefer the lever action rifle but a bolt is far more accurate IMHO. I like my handgun in 218 bee but it is not a very accurate firearm.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bolt, but with all due love for Bert, Winchester is not the only maker of decent or better rifles. It ain't cheap to shoot (I looked at Taurus Raging Bee and discovered $60 a box ammo, waaaaaay before the current foolishness. Hope you are a reloader![:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jptatum
    The Winchester model 43 I have is SN 13383 and is chambered for the 22 hornet.

J.P.,

Your Model 43 was manufactured in early July 1949. Is it a standard or deluxe rifle? Your rifle was made before Winchester started drilling & tapping them, and it should have the serial number on the left side of the frame ring.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to throw a kink in your works...

I've seen a few 218 bee Contender barrels for sale lately...
  • Options
    DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to say that the 218 Bee is a lot of fun in a lever gun. I seem to find more than my fair share of converted Winchester model 92s. Most are just great shooters. If you could find one I assure you, you will not be disappointed.