In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

kimber 45 refinishh

44mutley44mutley Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
friend of mine is selling his kimber tle r 45, can get it fairly cheap because slide finish is pretty worn, trying to get an idea of refinish cost to see if worth buying, tried looking on kimbers website but could'nt find out anything, anyone know if kimber offers refinishing services for their handguns, thanks

Comments

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you just need the slide done why not have it cerakoted. There are hundreds of places all over the USA that can do it. Probably for less than $100 and in any color you want. There is a guy on instagram that goes by the handle bloDNWeadline that does some beautiful work. He has lots of pics so you can get some ideas.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my CDP's finish (Kimber's rattle can paint finish) gets really crappy. I'll have the good folks at Robar do their NP3 finish on her. After only 50 rounds the paint on the aluminum has bits flaked/chipped off.

Say does the TLE have an aluminum frame? If so take a good long hard look for cracks. On mine the cracks were on the thin dust over meets the rest of the frame. Also keep in mind a new aluminum frame from Kimber will be $350 and a 6 months of wait time. That and they won't stamp the old serial number so you'll have to do the paper work and pay the FFL fees.

So if the gun your dude is selling (aluminum frame) is $400 less than new go for it. At worst Kimber will make you wait but they'll trade yours for a new gun. At least in my situation. And yes my gun was purchased second hand and they didn't care as long as they got the $350 for the new frame.
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Buy it...look up Fords in florida for refinish...
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    " That and they won't stamp the old serial number so you'll have to do the paper work and pay the FFL fees. '.............JUST TO NOTE; THERE SHOULD'T BE ANY "FFL FEES OR PAPER WORK".....any ffl or maker can "repair, or replace" a firearm for a customer without any additional paperwork of fees and return it directly to the customer (no ffl involved).
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    " That and they won't stamp the old serial number so you'll have to do the paper work and pay the FFL fees. '.............JUST TO NOTE; THERE SHOULD'T BE ANY "FFL FEES OR PAPER WORK".....any ffl or maker can "repair, or replace" a firearm for a customer without any additional paperwork of fees and return it directly to the customer (no ffl involved).

Maybe in the "ideal" world (not in California). New number, new paperwork and fees.