In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Merwin Hulbert tip up S&W markings

AdventureTimeAdventureTime Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
I've come across a Merwin Hulbert tip up in .22 short rim that has both a smith and wesson and the merwin hulbert stamp on the barrel. Is this something special?

Thanks!

Comments

• AdventureTimeAdventureTime Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SN is 18X, by the way
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beats me.
    Flayderman mentions it as a variation of the ordinary M&H copy of S&W 1st model 3rd issue but says only "intriguing."
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S & W had control of the Roland White patents, for bored through cylinders. Until it ran out in the late 1860's. They took many companies to court to defend this patent.

When the companies making these revolvers, that attempted to evade the White patent. Lost in court, they had to cease production. Pay S & W compensation, and turn over their inventory to S & W. Many of these revolvers were sold by S & W, to recoup their legal costs.

Some are quite rare, as only limited numbers had S & W markings.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Beats me.
    Flayderman mentions it as a variation of the ordinary M&H copy of S&W 1st model 3rd issue but says only "intriguing."

Flayderman does add: "worth small premium" and his value range without the added S&W marking was Very good $225 to Excellent $550

He also states: "Makers unknown"

(Merwin Hulbert were retailers, not manufacturers)
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A copy marked both Smith & Wesson and Merwin Hulbert but made by neither. Makes my head hurt.

9th edition (I started out in the 7th) adds "Numerous differences observed on these small revolvers (including specimens with squared vs rounded tops of grips), which apparently preclude their manufacture by just one maker. Believed that these were supplied to M&H by various mfrs."

All that instead of just "intriguing."

Which makes sense, neither M&H not H&A had other S&W knockoffs,why tool up for just one?

I don't think I have ever seen much connection between Flayderman's values and actual selling prices even when current. A basis for trades at best.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 9th edition was Norm Flayderman's last before he passed away, so now seven years old and values may have changed.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It shouldn't make your head hurt since Merwin and Hulbert like Merwin
    Bray before them were agents not manufacturers; their guns being made by the actual manufacturers whose names also appeared impressed into the frames.
    Merwin obviously was marketing S&W early tip ups.
    Who knows when and for how long?