In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

XDS .45 7rd. mag problems?

ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a SA XDS .45 that I really like.The 5 rd. mags that came with the pistol have been flawless. I have bought 4 of the SA 7rd. extended mags and all 4 of them jam. By jamming, I mean the bullet will not go into battery. It doesn't jam every bullet but every mag will jam at least 1 time. I have sent these mags back to SA. Anyone else had this issue with this mag? Thanks.

Comments

• fullcaseloadfullcaseload Member Posts: 224 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I purchased three 7 rd. mags when I bought my XDs (new). I was never able to run a complete 7 rd mag through. Traded for three new 7 rd. mags, same thing. Traded them for three 5 rd. mags for a total of six. The 5 rd.mags have been flawless. I "heard" some of these pistols were problematic with 7 rd. mags. After fighting with it I decided mine was one of those. Like you, I wanted the extra capacity, but I carry with complete confidence in the 5 rd. mags.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Springfield now offers a 6-round mag. I got one and it's much nicer for concealed carry than the long 7-rounder.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Magazines can often be tuned to work with your pistol and ammo specifically. I would start with taking them apart and de-burring all the pieces. Compare the shape of the follower's 5 vs. 7. Spring rate could be the issue, do they work when only loaded with 5?

added I agree 100% of 5 is way better than anything less with 6 or 7. Not having the pistol in hand makes it hard to diagnose a cure. Once I bought a AMT Hardballer from a friend. He gave me a 15 round magazine that never worked for him. I de-burred then insides and with my reloads using the Lyman 452370 it at the 100% once I adjusted the seating depth. The factory 7 round also worked better with the tuned rounds.

added 2 Tell them what exactly ammo you expect the pistol to run flawlessly with the fixed 7 rounder magazines.
  • ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    charliemeyer007 I have not tried loading only 5. I am curious about that, but they have been sent back to SA now. Thanks to all who responded. Hopefully SA will make it right.
    edited November -1
    charlie, I don't recall whether I tried loading 5 rds in the 7 rd mags. But I do remember most of my failures to feed happened on the 2nd or 3rd rd. of the mag so that would put it down to 4 or 5 in the mag. Just was not acceptable to me for carry purposes, especially since I still have a perfect function record with 5 rd. mags.
    edited November -1
    Update.
    I received my 4 new 7rd.45acp mags from SA and took them to the range yesterday and today. I used different ammo both factory and reloads, FMJ and JHP. I had only 1 7rd. mag fire all 7 rds. I tried my 5 rd. mags and they were flawless as usual.
    When the gun jams, the bullet looks like it is at to steep of an angle to go into battery causing it to jam. The jams occur on any of the 7 bullets, there is no pattern to the jams. I have fired the same ammo in my other 45's and never had a problem. Am I and fullcaseload the only ones that have had this problem?
    I am going to contact SA again tomorrow and hope for a solution. I have some photos of the jams if you want to see them contact me. I will be sending the photos to SA tomorrow also. I hope we can get this worked out, I really like this pistol.
    edited November -1
    Called SA this morning and they sent me a RMA and asked for the 4 7rd. mags and my pistol. Gonna miss that little pistol with the big bite. I hope they can find the problem. To be continued......
    edited November -1
    I received my XDS 45 today from SA, the paperwork said they had recut the locking block and barrel ramp and polished the ramp. They said they shot the pistol and all was fine.
    I went to the range and out of 4 7rd. mags, 3 failed to feed the 1st round! I only had 1 of 4 mags that fired all 7 rds. next best was 3 rounds fired. I refuse to believe they fired the pistol after the work they did. The 5rd. mags were all flawless as usual. I called them but they were closed, I emailed them and asked to have someone from CS contact me. I love the pistol and it is accurate for a 3" barrel. Hope this issue can be resolved soon. I think a 5th RMA to SA is in order. to be continued......
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ni hao
    I received my XDS 45 today from SA, the paperwork said they had recut the locking block and barrel ramp and polished the ramp. They said they shot the pistol and all was fine.
    I went to the range and out of 4 7rd. mags, 3 failed to feed the 1st round! I only had 1 of 4 mags that fired all 7 rds. next best was 3 rounds fired. I refuse to believe they fired the pistol after the work they did. The 5rd. mags were all flawless as usual. I called them but they were closed, I emailed them and asked to have someone from CS contact me. I love the pistol and it is accurate for a 3" barrel. Hope this issue can be resolved soon. I think a 5th RMA to SA is in order. to be continued......

You might find out what ammo they were using, to test the pistol? I've had feeding problems in the past with blunt nosed H-P bullets.

Certain ammo manufacturers. Make personal protection bullets with either a plastic plug or radius noses that don't hang up in my guns. Remington Golden Sabers and Hornady Critical Defense, come to mind. I'm sure that their others, that also make similar bullets.
    edited November -1
    ni hao, you've got more fortitude than me. I hope there is a solution and look forward to hearing it. Although, after my failures to feed I could never carry 7 rd. mags with any confidence. (I gave up early because sometimes my solution is a sledge hammer).