In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

winchester model 12 20ga

44mutley44mutley Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have recently fallen into a good deal but I'm not sure just how good it may be. I have the chance to purchase a Winchester Model 12 in 20ga for $50. Mechanically it's in great condition but it needs some TLC. The barrel's exterior is down to bare metal in places but the bore appears to be is good condition. According to the serial number it was manufactured in 1940. Any ideas what it may be worth?

Comments

• 44mutley44mutley Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is a Winchester model 12 20ga with origianl box worth? Excellent condition. Blued, wood, vent rib.
    edited November -1
    have a 20ga winchester model 12, sereal number puts it at being made in 1935, it has a 26in mod barrel but is also marked nickel steel, i did'nt think nickel steel barrels were made in 1935 but as usual i am probably wrong
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the serial number? Most sources of DOM information for the Model 12 are not accurate.
    edited November -1
    hi bert, s/n 6837xx
    from what i read the nickel barrels stopped around 1930
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC I read some where that proof steel, which replaced nickel steel came out around 1940, so I'd say that you're fairly close. They might have had some barrels and receivers that were not made in the same year that were matched up at the factory, and being close enough to the period when they changed steels it could be off by a few years.
  • gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    that serial number is pretty late 4 a nickel steel barrel ledger....I have 641xxx and it has proof steel...figure it was made in 31 which should be the first year for proof steel.... but those were depression years and Im sure they were digging all sorts of parts out from all over the factory and storage areas....does the gun have the small grip perch belly stock or the first style full pistol grip??....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44mutley
    hi bert, s/n 6837xx
    from what i read the nickel barrels stopped around 1930

Why the partial serial number? I really do not like it when people ignorantly do that[V]

Nickel Steel barrels began to be phased out in late 1931, and replaced with Proof Steel in 1932.
    edited November -1
    sorry, i had just always heard that you should'nt put full sereal numbers out over the internet and have seen people do it that way with the x's, it is 683757 don't know very much about model 12's history
    just what i have read, these were my uncle's, he had 2 of them, the wrist area seems smaller and longer than the other newer model 12 20ga he had, will try to put a pic of stock up, thanks
    edited November -1
    Your Model 12 was serialized in late August, 1931. The Nickel Steel barrel is correct.