In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911a1 series 80

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Pistol is literally a ww2 repro plus series 80 components....the guide rod plate...specifically the "corners of the Moon" are showing severe preening as if just those sections were getting battered...no wear on any other of the parts....just the guide rod. Replaced the part...still does it.....

Pics added for clarification. Also I'm using factory 230 fmj loads

20160322_003103_zpsrm2wph1p.jpg

20160322_003047_zpsnyf6hxlu.jpg

20160322_003109_zps3vielwte.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody and their brother in law, are making 1911's and parts nowadays. Maybe your recoil spring guide is slightly oversize? Try different one.

Also their are plastic buffers that are specifically made to fit over the cylindrical portion of the guide. To stop the battering your referring to. If you can't get a guide with smaller dimensions, get a package of buffers. They are inexpensive.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that shows some out of spec machining to the ends of the slide rails.
    Can you compare your slide to another? Look at the front end of the slide rails at the rear of the spring tunnel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    20160322_230857_zpskcqbby9i.jpg

20160322_230841_zpsqulyc3ek.jpg

20160322_230853_zpss18dqoz2.jpg

Forge, thanks for all your help! I recently got a spring with more resistance so I'll see what that does....I'll also shape the guide....I have another and they seem to be relatively cheap even for a quality one. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see a little step there at the end of the rails. I would file the areas of the recoil spring guide that are getting dented to clear it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry Hawk....misread your post.[:I]

I'm going to try cleaning/filing the rod as you and forge mentioned....I also moved up to a 18 pound spring. I'll post pics when done and after I go to the range this weekend.