In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1885 low wall 'mix-master' ?? Bert?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
I just bought this at a lgs, low wall receiver, Remington 513t barrel, & a'high' wall breech block! my ?'s
a. born on date, ser. # is 3465
b. any body have a parts drawing of the Win. single set trigger (I believe DeHass had one in his singles shot rifle book).
c. screw size for the 'set screw for teh above trigger
d. original cal.?
thanks for any help
nH2yfnVm.jpg
yrc0J00m.jpg
XGKJ8k0m.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

Your low-wall was received in the warehouse on 7/10/1886, and it was part of an order of (18) identical rifles shipped on the same date.

It was manufactured with a 24-inch No. 1 octagon barrel in 22 Short. It does not have a set trigger (Winchester simply pre-drilled the early triggers for a set screw whether or not a set trigger was ordered). Additionally, it does not have a "high-wall" breech block. All of the early (type 1) variation low-walls were made with an un-contoured breech block. The type 1 variation low-walls are found in the 2250 - 17200 serial number range.

All that you need to restore it, is to find an original early production low-wall barrel in 22 Short marked "22 CAL. R.F."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "All that you need to restore it, is to find an original early production low-wall barrel in 22 Short marked "22 CAL. R.F."

thanks so much Bert...........I'll stop at ACE hardware and pick one up on Mon. .......[:D]

I may make it out to the gun show in Cody this year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mike,

Keep your fingers crossed, and one might eventually come up for sale on Fleabay. If you need a picture showing the correct caliber marking, send me an email.

If you make it out to Cody this year, it should not be hard to find me... [:0][:D][8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "If you make it out to Cody this year, it should not be hard to find me..."............The last time I tried to find you in Cody I ask Dr. Shennum where you were and he said "just over there, big guy, grey hair, & talks a lot".........that covered almost half the guys in the room![8D][;)]

"If you need a picture showing the correct caliber marking, send me an email."..........need an address, G.B. emails don't work Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "If you need a picture showing the correct caliber marking, send me an email."..........need an address, G.B. emails don't work Thanks

Mike,

Win1885@msn.com