In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903A3 Barrels

vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello All,

Will the grooves/lands in an A3 barrel be the same depth regardless of there being 2, 4 or 6 of them?
Is it correct that the difference between an 03 and an A3 barrel is 1.138 vs 1.200 diameter measured before to the threads?
Thank you for your time.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difference between the 2 and 4 groove A3 barrels is that the other two grooves weren't cut(to speed production); so, yes, groove and land dia. was the same. I don't know about the 6 groove.

Barrel thread specs. weren't changed (except probably to loosen tolerances a minor bit-again to speed production by producing fewer rejects) from '03 to A3 and barrels will interchange.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What I've got is two NOS barrels in grease. One is an RA 6-43 with four grooves. The other, an RA 8-44, and I can't see any grooves at all.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 03A3 barrel should be larger OD unless someone has machined it for the rear site band of the 03. Threads are the same.

IIRC, your numbers are close to the diameters.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All 1903 and A3 barrels were cut to .004 groove depth. Two groove bores are difficult to see the grooves, especially if greased. Use a magnifying glass and you will see the grooves.
    Bolt Action Rifles lists the diameter in front of the threads as 1.145 for the 1903 and A3 A4 Service rifle. There were different barrel contours / diameters for rifles built for competition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    All 1903 and A3 barrels were cut to .004 groove depth. Two groove bores are difficult to see the grooves, especially if greased. Use a magnifying glass and you will see the grooves.

The mag showed them(four) better Nav, thanks.