In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Virginian Dragoon info

royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to purchase one reasonable ( 44 mag 6" blued, fixed sight). I was wondering how they hold up and compare to say a Ruger Blackhawk or a Taurus? any info, comments or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference notes that they were only made for a short time, over 30 years ago. If you have a hands on, check, where it was made. The first generation was made in Europe. Before limited production in the U.S.

Something that old, and subject to the pounding of 44 mag ammo. I wouldn't buy it without test firing. Making sure it's in time and locks up properly,( Accuracy also). Might have problems with a 30+ year old orphan. If repairs and replacement parts, are required.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Better than a Taurus maybe not as good as ruger
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they were ok. I try and hand select all my pistols because some are made better than others no matter the manufacturer.

Spare parts might be an issue.

http://www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by royc38
    I have a chance to purchase one reasonable ( 44 mag 6" blued, fixed sight). I was wondering how they hold up and compare to say a Ruger Blackhawk or a Taurus? any info, comments or advice would be appreciated.

I had one years ago, bought it used and it worked well. A very large revolver, good deal bigger than a Colt 1873. Eagle Grips still offers grips for the Dragoon. Mine had a quirk.

The ejection rod housing is held on by a bushing, the bushing is secured to the barrel, don't recall how. Probably screwed in like 1911 grip bushings. The screw holding the ejector rod threads into the bushing, not the barrel. Anyway, the one I bought had the bushing hole drilled a bit too deep and pierced the barrel. Whenever I fired the damn ejector rod would fly off to the right, pinwheeling through the air as the gun went up in recoil. I never could figure out how to fix it.

I don't know if the factory goofed, or if the previous owner fiddles with it. But were I to buy one again that's the 1st thing I'd check. Probably a "one in a million" problem.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While not made by Hammerli in Switzerland like the original single actions imported by Interarms in 357 and 45LC, they were very well made. Their triggers weren't a good, but tolerances were very close.

As with any revolver, you would want to check it for timing, lockup, etc.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The very large revolver is a good notation. I don't have small hands but it was too big for me to get a good grip on it. Someone posted on the wanted site here that they wanted one & I was surprised to discover he only lived a very short distance from me & so he now owns it. It did appear to be very robust & well made.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Better than a Taurus maybe not as good as ruger

+1