In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 88/100 winchester experts

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
looking to do a little bit of a weird project, for personal reasons of course, but could a model 100 Winchester or an 88 for that matter be rebarreled for a 7x57

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do believe that the magazines will be a little short for what you are attempting to do. However, if you are looking for that same performance, a 7mm-08 would work just fine, and you would be able to use the 308 magazine, unaltered to boot.

I do not think it would be a matter of just rebarreling to 7mmx57, and your loads might be compromised to the lighter weight bullets that will fit into the magazine.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think dealing with the gas-block/port on the Model 100 would be quite a challenge..
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7x57 MM is a rimmed cartridge, and as such, it will not feed properly in a Model 88 or 100 action. If you want a 7mm cartridge, find a Model 88 or 100 in the 284 Winchester cartridge.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    The 7x57 MM is a rimmed cartridge, and as such, it will not feed properly in a Model 88 or 100 action. If you want a 7mm cartridge, find a Model 88 or 100 in the 284 Winchester cartridge.

Well, Bert, there is a 7X57R, but the 7X57 Mauser we all know and love is rimless.. [8][8D]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7×57mm_Mauser
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

Well, Bert, there is a 7X57R, but the 7X57 Mauser we all know and love is rimless.. [8][8D]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7×57mm_Mauser

Maybe you love the rimless cartridge, but us Single Shot rifle types prefer the 7x57R [^] Seriously, my mind immediately went to the rimmed version, and you are correct that the 7x57 Mauser cartridge in rimless [:I]
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok thanks fellers. just a thought. like I say it was just one my weird ideas like my BAR rebarreled to 264 winmag. get to thinkin too much sometimes.btw the 264 shoots very nice