In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 88 Winchester 284

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
I would like to know if the four round Magazine for a model 100 284 fit in a Model 88 Winchester 284

Comments

• Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer, yes- But the Model 100 magazine will hold the bolt open after the last round..

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun Articles/winchester_model_88_100_info.html
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like has been answered, yes it will. However I would try to find an original, as any Winchester 100 or 88 in 284 is worth substantial $$ if in good original condition or better. T real money maker is the 88 in 358 Winchester.

EDIT 1

Winchester followed Remington's idea's for the 740/742, when they designed the magazine for the 100. Square back follower, with a lever in the magazine to retract the follower downward to let the bolt closed...although the 100 magazine does not have the lever to retract the follower, so the magazine must be removed to release the bolt. Just because you put a 100 magazine into an 88, does n mean it will function differently than in a 100. The magazines for the Remington 760 pump guns have an angled rear follower, which lets the bolt go forward after last round...just like the Model 88 Winchester.
  • Options
    dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a bit confused how the bolt could be held open on a lever action gun. I understand how a automatic could hold a bold open but the 88 is a lever action,
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rear of the follower on the Model 88 magazine is angled, the rear of the follower on the Model 100 magazine is squared, and will prevent the action from closing.. The mag would need to be removed, a full one loaded, then the action could be closed..The shooter can also depress the follower, then close the action.. This design was actually useful on military bolt actions, since it warned the soldier the gun was empty..
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cause in the fog of war some have been known to keep cycling the action and pulling the trigger on an empty gun...

Just saying.

Mike