In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help ID scope mount

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Need help ID scope mount and rings on prewar win 70. Rings are 7/8"win70prewar-8.jpg

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went through the the 1940 Stoeger Shooters Bible and Stroebel's scope book. Couldn't find them in either.

Probably both are custom made by some old world craftsman. Note how the the mount is permanently fastened to the side of the receiver by internal screws, and there are no external markings on it. All the mounts shown in the two above references, have visible external screws and pins that hold it to the receiver.
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look closely you'll see evidence of 6 screws, 3 large and 3 small. G&H did similar work but usually had their markings on the mount. There's been suggestions that the work is old world German craftmanship.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dokey
    If you look closely you'll see evidence of 6 screws, 3 large and 3 small. G&H did similar work but usually had their markings on the mount. There's been suggestions that the work is old world German craftmanship.

The mounts in the two references I noted had external screws, so that they could be removed. Specifically in Stroebel's book it shows a cut from a G & H add. It notes that the "base is screwed and pined to the receiver"

In your case it seems that the mount is not removable. Looks like once it was mounted to the receiver, the top of the screws and pins were ground flush. For a permanent installation.

If the work was done in the fatherland, I would expect the scope to be German, with a metric tube diameter.
  • MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought that I had seen most side mounts but that is a new one on me.

Looks like three screws and about four pins. Griffin & Howe did theirs the very same way with three screws and two pins. They milled everything off flush like yours and then blued the mount. When you see a G&H mount with visible screws or pins it was not installed by G&H.

If you do learn more about this mount I would like to hear about it as well. Is there a windage adjustment built into the mount?
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That scope looks like an early Leupold 2 1/4X.

EDIT: Interesting: I am reading the description of the scope in a 1953 Stoeger catalog. "Independent windage and elevation adjustment cams click for 1/2-in. movement at 100 yds." I'd guess one of those knurled sleeves is for elevation and the other is for windage with the fore and aft collars being lock rings. But it's your scope and I'm sure you've tried that. Incidently, that scope sold for $64.50 that year--not a cheap scope!

I collect old scopes and mounts but am not able to come up with anything on your mount. I do find it hard to believe it's a "one off", it looks too much like a commercial set-up to me. But anything's possible!
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's no windage adjustment, and the scope IS an early Leupold Plainsman 2-1/4x 7/8" dia tube
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like G&H rings, but a non-removable one-piece, one-off base.