In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

identify Star O

mwest10mwest10 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Need help identifying a Star pistol I have. It looks like an early "B". It is 9mm luger, has the pre 1946 straight grip, uniform patina no purple metal. At the bottom of the grip where the model is it has an "O". To further complicate things it has an X proof which I believe is 1952. Serial #98496. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to be a Model A. According to my reference, they quit making the straight grip guns in the 20's. The only way it could have a 1952 proof, is if they built it from left over parts.

Got this photo off the net that shows a similar Model A. With home made grips.

star_modela_new_grips1.jpg
  • mwest10mwest10 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe, thanks for the reply. I have an "A" they are 9mm largo caliber. This is 9mm luger. The info I have is that they didn't start the "ergo"bump on the grip until 1946. So the lower is pre 1946 yet has 1952 proof. Could be mismatched parts as you say but whats with the "O" model??
    edited November -1
    My reference is "Pistols of the World", by Hogg & Walter. No model, "O", Star listed.

The Model A pictured in my previous post, is in 9mm Luger.

Best reference for Star Pistols is "Star Firearms", by
    Leonardo M. Antaris. Obtaining a copy, might help you in identifying your pistol?
    edited November -1
    Do they show a picture of the other side that I could compare it to?
    I've found references to a model 08 that was a contract gun. Maybe they left out the 8...thx again
    edited November -1
    the slide markings on the "O" match the markings on my "A" but are slightly different than my "B". Still don't know about the "O" model or X proof mark..thx
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of good info here on models, proofs and date proofs.
    http://9mmlargo.com/index.htm
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mwest10
    Do they show a picture of the other side that I could compare it to?
    I've found references to a model 08 that was a contract gun. Maybe they left out the 8...thx again

Here is a link, to a left side view of the same pistol.

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/images/fbfiles/images/xstar_modela_new_grips2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0L7Mbde6-X.webp
    edited November -1
    Thanks, lots of good info. It looks like the early A in 9mm luger
    but that doesn't explain the O model or X proof. There is a model B O8 made 1942-1944. That would fit if they left off the 8 (error?)
    did they reproof them? that would explain the X proof. This is really a weird one...thx again think I'm getting closer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mwest10
    Thanks, lots of good info. It looks like the early A in 9mm luger
    but that doesn't explain the O model or X proof. There is a model B O8 made 1942-1944. That would fit if they left off the 8 (error?)
    did they reproof them? that would explain the X proof. This is really a weird one...thx again think I'm getting closer.

As far as I know. All the later ones were made with a arched main spring housing. I was under the impression all the "B"'s had them. Post a photo of this Model B 08, made during the war.

If you get hold of a copy of Antaris book. It might shed light on the "O" marking, and post war proof mark.
    edited November -1
    Rufe-snow..I found the info on the model B with the O8 markings on the Star website that describes the various models. They describe the O8 as being a contract pistol for German police etc but they don't show pictures and I haven't been able to find any. No one has anything on an O model, thats why I was thinking maybe during the rush to get these out during the war the 8 was left off in error.
    Thanks for your help.