In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Forgemonkey: RIA 1911

MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Have a RIA 1911 in 9mm that I have only fired about 50 times. Slide will not lock back after firing the last round in the magazine. Extrapolating from that other post I am hearing that the recoil spring is probably too strong. Is that a correct assumption?
Thanks for your wisdom. If I knew how I would post a picture of my "Peter Wright". It is significantly rougher than yours.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I am not Forgemonkey But better looking than Bill and yes the most likely trouble you describe is the spring is too heavy or the load is too light I would try some ammo from Europe maker AND make sure you dont have a Darn recoil buffer installed
  • MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Instructions basically said 250 round break in period. Figured I would do that before I start tinkering. I know this is an "inexpensive" 1911. My first venture into semi-auto, so am kinda feeling my way. I am sure there is no "buffer". Shooting Federal American Eagle 124 FMJ. I will vary the fodder. Thank you.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To expand on what Karl said. Get hold of ammo with 124 grain or heavier bullets. Specially those made for Nato use.

These rounds are made for use in submachine guns. And have a muzzle velocity of over 1200 FPS.
    If they don't lock your slide back. You will definitely need a lighter recoil spring.
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all you knowledgeable people. Those ideas give me some
    appropriate places to look.
    edited November -1
    All magazines are metal follower and new. MecGar. I am leaning toward wrong spring or wrong "part". I too have seen those kinds of mistakes. If I don't get it figured out by summer we will revisit this conversation.
    Again, thanks to all for your help.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen the Forgemonkey Perry shooter, he is purty![:D]