In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

No Lead Shot for hunting!

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Ask the Experts
Hi Guys!

In FL I cannot use lead shot for hunting on public land. Therefore, I want to know. Is steel shot bad for your shotgun or your chokes? Is there an alternative to lead and steel that will satisfy the law?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes steel shot CAN damage guns not designed for it.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/KENT-BISMUTH-SHOTSHELLS-PER-BOX/2263462.uts

You need to check with Fl, I'm sure they have a list of approved ammo for their inspectors to consult while checking people in the field.

Personally if you shoot much a steel ready 870 isn't much on the used market.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Charlie said up there ^^^. While plastic shot cups DO give a fair bit of protection to barrels, you would not want to run steel shot in an older shotgun- the metal was never meant for the hardness of steel shot. Newer guns- not a problem. Nice old L C Smith- problem.

Bismuth shot is a good workaround. Heavy, soft, non-toxic- but somewhat expensive compared to steel.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heavi Shot also works pretty well as a lead replacement.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use "BLACK CLOUD"
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steel shot has been mandatory, for migratory birds for years. Many older shotguns, made before the steel shot era. Have had their chokes opened up, so that the steel shot wouldn't screw up their barrels.

Bought a nice old, 50's vintage Model 12 years years ago. Dummy me didn't check the choke, before shelling out the money. Although with a 30" barrel, and marked "Full". The choke had been honed out to "Improved Cylinder". Killed the resale value, to a collector.

Per the above. Nothing wrong with using steel shot, in a older high dollar shotgun. As long as the choke, has been opened up. Don't get me wrong! Not saying, to alter the choke on any old gun. But you might be on the lookout, for one that has already been opened up. Kitchen table gunsmithing, boute kills value of of the older guns.
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my shotguns all after 2010. How can I tell if my shotguns are good for steel?
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How are they choked?/ full, Mod , I/C ???
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39Lover
    I bought my shotguns all after 2010. How can I tell if my shotguns are good for steel?

If they were actually made after 2010, I wouldn't worry about. The requirement for using steel, was years earlier.

The manufacturers have made changes, to the choke and shotgun barrels. Years prior to 2010, so that steel shot wouldn't destroy the choke. On guns manufactured, prior to the requirement. Like my old Model 12.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your shotguns have screw in chokes, they are usually marked for lead and steel. A Full choke for steel is a Mod choke for lead.
    A non screw in fixed choke barrel, Full choke, and made before steel shot, is where a serious problem can occur. Best case is the steel shot opening the choke up. Worse case is the barrel bulging or blowing open just behind the choke restriction.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With steel shot you should go with as lower number shot as they pattern differently than the lead.