In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wesco Mark IV

Big Cedar IdahoBig Cedar Idaho Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone shed some light on this firearm. I just got a 9MM firearm that I cannot find any detail on. On the side of the Rifle is stamped WESCO Mark IV Banning California. If anyone has any information please let me know. Not sure if this gun is fully auto but it looks as though it has the capabilities. Thanks so much

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/Other/Other/I-own-a-Wesco-Ordnance-Mark-IV-Carbine-made-in-Banning-173687.htm

Posted: February 6, 2003 7:44 PM

Carl Bebee who was the main designer died several years ago and there have not been parts available for a long time, gun was built in early 70's. Have a manual with parts blow-up.

A name and a date is a start. Maybe you could ask them about the manual and parts blow-up.

You should hope that it is not full auto or selective fire without the proper paperwork. The BATEF don't have much of a since of humor about machine guns. I'm sure there are u tube vids on Sten, Mac's Thompson's, M2 Carbine in full auto glory.
  • Big Cedar IdahoBig Cedar Idaho Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is exactly what I am saying. There is absolutely no detail to this link. Can anyone help?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were a bunch of similar guns made back then. Mostly by shade tree gunsmiths who operated out of their garage. They were ugly as sin, and because of the legally required 16" barrels had the ergonomics of a blacksmiths anvil.

The only really successful ones that I'm aware of were the Linda & Terry carbines, made by Ray Wilkinson. He named them after his daughters.

Here is a photo of a Wesco MK IV I got off the net. It might jar somebodies memory.

PICT2570.jpg
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The few of these that were actually made all seem to be centered in CA, primarily because they were not listed in the first assault weapons ban back in 1989. These were also called the Jungle Carbine (who knows why?) and are straight blow back rifles that fire from a closed bolt with a positive disconnector so you would need to make modifications (all of them now illegal) to achieve full auto fire. Parts are impossible to obtain but here is an old schematic:
    WESCO.jpg
  • Big Cedar IdahoBig Cedar Idaho Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much for the detail. Is this collectable and do you have an idea what it is worth?

quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    The few of these that were actually made all seem to be centered in CA, primarily because they were not listed in the first assault weapons ban back in 1989. These were also called the Jungle Carbine (who knows why?) and are straight blow back rifles that fire from a closed bolt with a positive disconnector so you would need to make modifications (all of them now illegal) to achieve full auto fire. Parts are impossible to obtain but here is an old schematic:
    WESCO.jpg
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some guns are so rare that few folks ever heard of them. I doubt that there is anyone doing a search on GB every week on the keyword "Wesco".

I suspect that if you listed it on GB & paid for a "featured" listing, you might be able to get $200-300 for it. There is a limit to what most folks will pay for a "curiosity" that may not work, or might require parts that are unobtainable. But, that's just a guess.

If you are unable to post photos, it is probably unsellable.

Neal
  • oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one just like yours only mine was converted to shoot blanks. Years ago I researched as much as I could on these and didn't come up with much. Even talked by phone with a friend of original maker. Parts are next to nill, quality not real good, very few out there. I was able to come across an original manual and a copy but now not sure where I put them. At that time I was really interested in finding one that wasn't converted to blanks to go with mine. My interest now is not that strong but if you decide to list and sell, let me know. It just might get my flame lit again. Search Wesco here in old forums and you might get a little more of my old info.
  • capitaintigerscapitaintigers Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken mine out and played with it several times with no problems. The one I have is in 45cal and all iv heard about so far is them being made in 9mm. Is the 45cal rare for this gun?
  • ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carl used to come to the old Great Western Show at LA county Fair grounds. I can't remember the name of the young guy who used to come with him to the show, but they always had interesting stuff. That was back in the day when ARMEX used to set up and display parts kits and all kinds of related MG stuff. The gun was designed and built at about the same time a number of others were built like the Spitfire and various models of the Commando. The guns were built a few at a time and production serial numbers seemed to have started a 1000. The manuals were all printed at one time and so seem to be much more common. Even in those days there were no spare parts available. The cast parts were done in the LA area, even back then lots of prototype firearms work was done there. The gun was fairly well designed and one of the few weak points is the sear unit. The WESCO is not often seen and can't remember any articles written about it or Carl.
  • Lpd209Lpd209 Member Posts: 1

The wesco is a semi auto sub machine gun that faltered almost as fast as it started. I have purchased the original plans for several parts of the firearm I’ve the tears but still haven’t had the nerve to take it apart and attempt to spin a new barrel. It takes stem magazines that’s about it. Good lu k

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

45 ACP variant 16.5" bbl. Semi automatic & uses GI M3 grease gun magazines. Appears to be an interesting hybrid of a Thompson & Sten Sub Machine guns. In good condition an interesting firearm well researched and described and picture can sell for as high as $1250.00

Description: Wesco Ordnance MK IV semi-automatic military rifle. Cal. 45. 16" bbl. SN 1325. Plum colored bluing on barrel, standard bluing on rest of metal, metal shows areas of light freckling near rear sight, walnut stock shows light handling marks, plastic pistol grip, excellent bore, missing magazine. Excellent. 14-1448.

Semi-automatic carbine with a 16" plugged and bulged barrel with 4 rings inside. No magazine. Most of the bluing on barrel has been removed. Shroud and receiver tube have small spots of surface rust. Alloy trigger group is dirty but in good condition. Thompson M1A1 stock has been modified to fit the trigger group and it has one crack and numerous dings and scrapes. Action works. Bore is terrible. Condition is poor.

This discussion has been closed.