In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BAR Question

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if a Browning BAR hunting rifle will take the old WWII BAR magazines, or are they incompatable?

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    What part of a BAR constitutes the machine gun? Is it the receiver? Is it legal for us commoners to possess all other parts except the receiver? TIA for any input.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The receiver is the firearm and would the only registered part. The other components are unrestricted. To build a semi, a new and purpose built semi-auto receiver must be obtained which cannot accept any of the selective fire component parts and must fire only from a closed bolt.

This was a much simpler question than you had lead me to believe in your email.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Sorry to mis-lead you Mark, I was going to ask you other questions. But since I am now putting this out in public, and since I have the other parts in my possession, I wanted to make sure I had no registered parts.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HPD......... Ohio Ordnance makes a nice semi BAR all assembled, ready to shoot. Just something to consider. As Mark mentioned there is a lot to be considered when building your own. Mine has functioned flawlessly every time I have taken it out.

IMG_0005-1.jpg
    edited November -1
    LL, It's not for me, but for a fella I know. I have in my possession, what is supposed to be all the parts, except for the receiver, of a 1918 BAR. The guy wants me to sell it on GB, but I need to know if anything is missing, and an approximate value. I will start a new thread with pictures as soon as I can get them up on photobucket.