In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

R Mortimer SXS 12 ga.

woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
Anyone Know anything About this Firearm

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mortimer gunmakers originated in Scotland, moved down to England (Birmingham/ London) about 1840s. Some of them emigrated to Boston and made guns here started about 1860. Nice guns.

The Mortimer name was also used by Belgians that were trading in on similar names (Barker instead of Parker, W. Richards instead of Westley Richards, etc) Hey- ya wanna buy a Rollex watch cheap? [:p]

And you know the drill, bud- pictures and markings.
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Sorry no Pics as the gun is in a Antique Shop 60 Miles from here
    That was the only Markings I Could See very poor Lighting but the gun was in Real good Shape Was $225quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Mortimer gunmakers originated in Scotland, moved down to England (Birmingham/ London) about 1840s. Some of them emigrated to Boston and made guns here started about 1860. Nice guns.

The Mortimer name was also used by Belgians that were trading in on similar names (Barker instead of Parker, W. Richards instead of Westley Richards, etc) Hey- ya wanna buy a Rollex watch cheap? [:p]

And you know the drill, bud- pictures and markings.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be very careful The English HIGH QUALITY will have all kinds of Proof Marks BELGIAN are normally sub par on quality
    edited November -1
    And of course, English, Belgian or American is likely a black powder shotgun, may have Damascus barrels, and not be prudent to shoot anything thru it.

I did not say you COULDN'T- I said not prudent. Percussion or cartridge gun?

Offer 3 crisp $50 bills and see if they will geek on the price.
    edited November -1
    Black Powder it has Nipples
    A left hand Side Break Lever Down the Side[:I]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think what you said means what you think it does.
    edited November -1
    ?? Elaborate Pleasequote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I don't think what you said means what you think it does.
    edited November -1
    A "Side Break Lever Down the Side" describes a breechloader to me.
    The outside hammers are then whacking firing pins, not percussion nipples.
    edited November -1
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?215946-Mortimer-shotgun

This is a 12 g Mortimer that shoots 2.5 inch shells. It is not a muzzle loader- the external hammers whack firing pins, like Hawk said. Please note the swirly pattern in the barrel steel. That is Damascus or "twist" steel. Absolutely not meant for modern ammo, and since I cherish my boyish good looks, I would not shoot ANYTHING in those.

Yes, I know some people that DO shoot high quality Damascus barrel guns. I also know people that crimp blasting caps to time fuse using their teeth. I choose not to do either.

If I owned one of those I would give it an honored place of retirement over the fireplace.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello - I am the resident Damascus shotgun and powder monkey that 11b6r is talking about. I shoot old Damascus barrel shotguns. BUT - they were all checked out by a master gunsmith who is now retired - and they were also taken to an aircraft repair facility that could check the integrity of the metal. Additionally I have the dies and press to load solid brass shotgun shells with black powder loadings. Unless the barrels can be checked by a gunsmith who is VERY familiar with Damascus barrels and unless you can get black powder shotshells - I would NOT fire it. There is no such thing as a safe smokeless powder loading. Been there - done that - got the scars on my left hand to prove it.

I am NO longer a powder monkey and I have never crimped using my teeth. I had a Leatherman - with a special crimping "notch" for that.

Best Regards - AQH

When facing multiple bad guys - first take out the one that's the most dangerous - that's the one with the shotgun!!

P.S. If this is a Damascus muzzle stuffer - there is plenty of load data available from several sources. Components such as Alcan - Herter's - Fiochi - over powder cards and felt wads and over shot cards are not readily available but substitutes cut from styrofoam meat trays can be made with the proper arc punches. I would suggest a 5 grain ffffg charge of Swiss or Elephant powder at the bottom followed by a ffg charge on top.

I have used such muzzle stuffers in the dove field and had some hunters who came over and wanted to try the shotguns. I was very happy to load for them.

Again my best regards - If you should ever need to contact me - just use the envelop icon and I will respond to you.
    edited November -1
    Unlike the Firing Pins Shown in this 2nd Picture On this Link This Shotgun Has Nipples. And It is Extensively Engraved On the Side Plates not Plain Jane like in the pic
    is it Possible This Was used as A Paper Type Cartridge that the Cap ignited?? Hey Just asking What do I know Thats why I Asked[:o)] quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    A "Side Break Lever Down the Side" describes a breechloader to me.
    The outside hammers are then whacking firing pins, not percussion nipples.
    edited November -1
    Getting complicated. Do you have pictures?
  • dog1944dog1944 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Damascus barreled shot guns both have been to the Birmingham
    proof house and proofed for smokeless loads.
    They had the chambers lengthen and proofed for commercial 1 1/8 loads
    I shoot light 7/8 oz loads and have no problems
    Look on the water table for the word nitro
    They have been doing this for a hundred years
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I have a "Weston" damascus 12 ga with the Birmingham proof marks with the side lever breakdown like you describe but it is a pinfire.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best you can probably hope is to get a very nice wall hanger at a fair price. $150-$165 is about all wall hangers go. I would do it for that. I have the shotgun of the father of a very good friend on the wall. Worth every penny to me.