In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bore Snake for cleaning gun

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
Anyone use a Bore Snake? Instructions does not say anything about using any Hoppe's or somthing like that but I was just wondering how anyone else used the Bore Snake.

Comments

• 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Personally I think the bore snake is junk and don't use it. I will stick with my coated rod, bore guide, patches and brushes. And yes I use Hoppes on the patches and brush. I also use a copper remover with a patch.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually run it before a shoot to mop out the dust [:D]. And once more after a good cleaning to pick up the left over oil.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a big fan of these, as I'm always worried that the thing will pick up sand or some other abrasive, then drag it through the bore.

But they definitely are good for a quick "run through" when a "real" cleaning is impractical or impossible.

Lots of people do use solvents on these. You will want to use sparingly, then store the (yucky) snake in a ziploc bag or something.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use CLP on one
    Then a dry one afterwards
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The search function is your friend here; this has been discussed on no less than 25 different occasions.

My stock answer is: all I use for .22s and shotguns, good for a few chores in general, but no substitute for a brush and patch for a centerfire weapon.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY , They are a excellent product that does what it claims to do. . . I've used one . .

They give your bore the best wipe you can give it right now.....because you don't have your crate of gun cleaning stuff with you.

And just like ANY cleaning tool, you have to keep it CLEAN.

It only does a part * job because it's a part * tool. I don't know anyone that uses them as a substitute for a real bore cleaning.

However, the 22 rimfire crowd that vows never to clean the bore until you begin to loose accuracy . . . may think they are the cats meow.

Fluids ? Use them sparingly if you want,as if putting it on a patch.

Cleaning them ? Put them in a mesh sack and run it through your parts washer or when using the washing machine for shop rags.

Not much different than a line and patch, as some milsurp stocks hold.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put some Synthetic Gun Oil on the snake just in front of the brushes, seems to work well for me!
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love them for range work. Before, after, and sometimes in between 3-5 shot groups well I am letting the barrel cool. They are great for that. I get a kick out of people saying they are junk(maybe the new ones fall a-part, I don't know I guess) because they serve the purpose they were made for great.

For REAL cleaning stick with the rod, brush, and oil that your suppose to use. The bore-snakes are not made for this.

EDIT: Just wanted to say I like them enough to have one for every caliber I own.

Jon
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    peddler,

I don't think that you'll find anyone claiming that a bore snake is the end all of cleaning products for rifles, shotguns or pistols. But if the unthinkable happens when you're a far piece from home and no cleaning available, a bore snake will be an adequate substitute.

I carry one whenever I hunt no matter how close to home I am. This gets to be more important the further you get from any civilization. A simple little tool can save a hunt. They come in convenient little kits or you can make up your own kit using one of those little injection molded boxes with partitions from the fishing section of any store. Even sewing stores carry some designs. Pick your favorite cleaning products, include a snake and Ziploc bag then off to the hunt. Always run it through the washer or even a sink full of sudsy water, rinse thoroughly and let dry.

Best.