In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

More BAR Questions with Pics

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Here are pictures of what I have. Can anyone tell by the pics if it is complete except for the receiver? I would also like to get a ballpark value so I can put it on the auction. TIA for any help.

A couple of things to note, the more worn magazine on the left is representative of a total of 6 used looking mags. The 4 mags on the right are as new, and the 4 is all there is of them. So there is a total of 10 useable mags. There are however 16 more of the used mags with dents in them. It looks like one could remove the floor plates, and push the dents out of maybe half of those to get serviceable mags.

The recoil buffer is present, and installed in the stock. Also, hard to see in the picture, but the trigger group appears to be complete.

On the close up pictures of the barrel, and flash hider, I'm trying to show the rust that has accumulated on these parts. There is also some rust showing in the bore, but some cleaning may tone the rust issue down a bit. Also, in the vertical picture of the flash suppressor, I was trying to show not only rust, but the flash suppressor is squashed flat on one side.

FYI, the barrel has a date of 1-53 on it. and These parts were purchased 30-35 years ago, and it is supposed to be a Korean War vintage gun.

BAR1_zpsbjtlxsld.jpg

BAR2_zpsqz2zedjf.jpg

BAR3_zps6rexyloo.jpg

BAR6_zpsnyiob5on.jpg

BAR8_zpsd6hro7lj.jpg

BAR7_zpsmjbzfhgc.jpg

BAR5_zpswqephnfn.jpg

BAR4_zpsevjwvdg8.jpg

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This auction was for a parts kit in nice condition:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=532653458

Some of your parts are so pitted that they are not usable. Without Kroil, a wire wheel, & a Dremel, it's hard to tell at this point.

Neal
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The " Buffer" is part of the slow fire mechanism. The BAR has two rates of fire. When the "Buffer" is jammed from rust it loses the 250 slow rate giving only full auto and semiauto rates.
    If it saw Korean War action, that "buffer" and the adjustable gas port are rusted in place, needing replacement due to corrosive ammo and wet conditions.