In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

French or Belgium Pinfire rifle

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
A friend came into a pinfire rifle via a complicated family arrangement. It is marked Llambert or something similar and Marseille. It appears to be a 12mm caliber. The action opens much like a single shot shotgun but the lever is underneath where the forend normally is. Condition is about 80% with a decent rifled bore. I'll try to post some pictures soon. Anyone have any information on this gun? What are pinfires selling for? My guess is $300-500, but that's just a guess as I've never seen one like this before. He may sell it to me but I have no idea what to offer. As I have said, I'll try to get some pictures soon. Thanks for any information.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pinfires have little following on this side of the pond. Much more demand/interest/value in Europe. Where most of them come from.

Also because there much more stringent gun laws, over there. Antique pinfires, are much more available for collecting. Than more modern cartridge arms.

If you do wind up with it? Put it on the auction, and hope European dealers or collectors see it. And have a bidding war, to drive the price up.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not pay more than $100 for any pinfire firearm in very good condition. Ammo is not available. They are only a curio in this country. The only exception would be a highly engraved one just for the value of a gunmakers artwork. My opinion only.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Value of ANY gun is based on exact make, model, and condition. Without more info, pictures, all we can do is make bad guesses.

One of the most frequently encountered names in pinfires is Lefaucheaux. The under lever lockup was used by several makers, including Darne, Lefaucheaux, Warnant, etc. Look anything like this?

http://collectorebooks.com/gregg01/pinfire/Lot-1208.htm
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    I would not pay more than $100 for any pinfire firearm in very good condition. Ammo is not available. They are only a curio in this country. The only exception would be a highly engraved one just for the value of a gunmakers artwork. My opinion only.

The U S Government, during the Civil War. Bought approximately 12,000, Model 1854, Lefaucheux 12mm pinfire revolvers.

It's believed that their serial number range was between 25,000 & 37,000. They are avidly sought after by collectors. Even in at least, Good Condition, they would have substantial value.