In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Low end rifle scope compare

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Hello all, putting together a bang around truck rifle that i dont want to put a ton of money into, i know you get what you pay for with scopes and i dont want to start the cheap scopes will make you sorry debate, just looking for an honest compare of either the new low end nikon buckmasters II or bushnell trophy XLT both around $120 street price your thoughts? They are 3-9x40

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Nikon BM II, and the Burris FullField II, are your friends.

EDIT 1

quote:quote:Originally posted by tocamoha
    Check out the Pentax Gameseeker.Terrific in low light and has ranging reticle.

They are/were made by Burris

quote:quote:Originally posted by wolfpack
    No experience with the Nikon. I do have the Bushnell XLT on a couple of Marlin 336 and it is a good scope for the money, have been very satisfied with them. Also I have had business with Bushnell customer service on different items and they have been excellent to deal with.

The higher end Bushnell's, like the Tactical Elites are awesome optics. I have not had such great luck with anything else in their line. I do like some Nikons, even though their reliability and customer service leaves something to be desired. That is why for lower end, I stick to Burris, or Vortex Viper.

Do keep in mind that the repeatability of the adjustments, in ALL lower end scopes, will also leave something to be desired. For those who use one sight in, and do not dial in windage and elevation, that is not a problem.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to respond when I thought you were asking about good quality low priced scopes.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In your price range I would look at the Vortex Crossfire 4-12X40. Also a big fan of Burris, and do like my Nikon Buckmaster scopes at their price-point.

I have no experience with the Bushnell Trophy XL line, but am reasonably happy with their higher end scopes. If I had to do over again, I would go with Vortex or Burris where I bought Bushnell.
  • tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 270 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Pentax Gameseeker.Terrific in low light and has ranging reticle.
  • wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No experience with the Nikon. I do have the Bushnell XLT on a couple of Marlin 336 and it is a good scope for the money, have been very satisfied with them. Also I have had business with Bushnell customer service on different items and they have been excellent to deal with.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a used better scope. Make sure the truck gun has function iron sights in case the scope takes a hit.
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swift is a really good buy for the money.
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good results buying used fixed 4 and 6 power M8 Leupold scopes. Great quality at a low price, and a lifetime warranty.
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deerhntr
    Hello all, putting together a bang around truck rifle that i dont want to put in a ton $$ just looking for an honest compare of either the new low end nikon buckmasters II or bushnell trophy XLT both around $120 street price your thoughts? They are 3-9x40

Once again, an honest Q: WHAT'S THE AP?
    Some background: Bushnell's products have always been pretty much garbage across the entire line since the early 80's.
    More confusion: Nikon's (& many xlnt 'formerly US-made') scopes are now "produced" & sourced from china.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are some GOOD Tacos made in Japan out there that are sharp! BSA, have had good luck with without the lighted recticle. Had to send one back and they sent me the best 6x18 they had, like 300 dollars retail.