In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Chi-Com Type 84 SKS -C&R?

ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have sold a Chi-com type 84 SKS that has the 30 rd detachable mag on GB. The buyer claims it is a C&R gun and has sent his license for shipping.( even though I specified only sold to FFL dealer) I am not convinced the gun qualifies as a C&R gun. He claims the gun is qualified due to its age of being over 50 years. Web searches have really not helped. This gun has a Russian receiver and barrel with no import marks. I have checked the ATF web site as well with.

Comments

• JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even if it is C&R eligible, it must be in its original configuration. I'm not familiar with how it gets modified to accept the 30 round mag, but unless you can easily convert it back to the fixed 10 round mag and ship it like that, it's not a C&R anymore.

Johnny
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got the below information off a SKS collectors web site.

The initial production Chinese SKS's, were assembled using Russian SKS parts at JIANSHE ARSENAL in 1956.

Below is the timeline. Some Russian parts were utilized as late as 1957. With serial number ranging to over 200,000

1956 (Soviet-Sino)
    No /26\ stamp, 100% Russian parts including a Tula star stamped receiver. Considered to be at least complete sub-assemblies and possibly complete rifles when delivered to China for T56 start-up.

1956/57 ("ghost") No /26\ stamp
    No indication the /26\ was added to the receiver on Jan 1st 1957, so a portion of "ghosts" rolled into April 57 when the factory became state owned and began utilizing the /26\ stamp. Estimated serial threshold based on production #s is around serial 140k

1957 (6 digit /26\)
    First appearance of the /26\ stamp starting April 1957 in conjunction with Jianshe becoming state owned at around serial 213k. Russian parts still present.

If you were to remove the detachable 30 round magazine. It would be legal to ship IMHO. I've had a bunch of those magazines over the years in different SKS's. The SKS is not physically altered at all. All that is done is to remove the factory original 10 round magazine, and replace it with the U.S. made 30 rounders.

In fact I bought a Russian 10 years ago, that came with a U.S. made 30 rounder. I just took it apart to remove the 30 round U.S. made mag. And replaced it with a original Chinese made 10 rounder.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a defender of "C&R rights", but I still respect the rights of a seller who specifies "FFL dealer only". By outbidding those who meet your requirements, the buyer shows his disrespect for you.

I recall seeing your auction, & found myself pondering the origin of your rifle, but the photos & description were not good enough for me to be sure what it is. ANY SKS with a Russian receiver that entered the US through an importer would have import markings AND A NEW SERIAL NUMBER stamped on the receiver. So, the gun is either a GI "bring back" from the Viet Nam War, or a refinished parts gun.

Either way, you will never be able to document exactly what it is; a print out from a website would not convince an ATF agent (or a jury) that it is a C&R. I would not ship to your buyer.

Neal
  • ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, the buyer has agreed to have it shipped to a FFL.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ammo guy
    Thanks for the replies, the buyer has agreed to have it shipped to a FFL.

How many digits in the serial number. And is the receiver marked with the "/26\", Jianshe Arsenal marking?
    edited November -1
    The only marking is a star on the left side of the receiver and a 3 digit serial #. The other parts have the same #.
    edited November -1
    Correction, it is a 4 digit #.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ammo guy
    Correction, it is a 4 digit #.

Thanks. It's whats called a Sino-Soviet SKS. Not common. If the guy that bought it, is a SKS collector? He's happy to get it.

I bought a Russian SKS in a Chinese red plastic stock years ago. Because I though it was a Sino-Soviet, it didn't prove to be though.
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was me I would contact bidder an have rifle shipped to a ffl-01 an then he can take his c&r to that dealer in that state an work it out that way.then it leaves you out of trouble.