In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AMT Lightning??

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
LGS has an AMT Lightning in 22lr with a 10.5" bbl for sale. It is in great condition with the box for $450 otd. Not really my cup-o-tea but interesting non the less. What say you? Thanks!

T67

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMT = POS, poor quality control lead to being bankrupt IMHO.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The lightning was among their better products, along with their 10/22 clone but as charlie said, they still aren't that great. A gun very similar in shape but better quality is the High Standard pistols.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toad 67,

I have a couple Lightenings, and a 25/22. I will tell you, that the quality of these specimens, are better than either of the Ruger's that they were cloned from. Where AMT run into problems, is with the Back Up series, and their 1911 clones.

Their copy of the Ruger 10-22 is ALL stainless steel, including the reciever, and trigger group. The Lightening, is the same way, and will accept most of the afteermarket goodies the Ruger's will.

Best
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the 10.5 barrel it's going to be a boat anchor weight wise. I have shot a lot of the Ruger targets with the shorter barrels. Off hand even for 10 shots, I start to shake. With the 10+ barrel forget it, unless your Arnold junior. Still hunting from a rest is the only option, unless you got arms like Popeye.

They have appreciated alot money since they were sold back in the 80's, but unless your a collector I would pass on it.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have a 5" that I have had for years. It has a better trigger than a Ruger and is grooved for scope rings.