In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping a gun to CA?

ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
What is the correct info on an individual shipping a long gun to a CA dealer? I have heard several things and want to know the facts, thanks

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Click here http://forums.GunBroker.com/search.asp and enter: Shipping to California

Happy reading! [;)]
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For an individual? Make sure the receiving dealer will accept from you. You'll probabyl need to include a xerox of your drivers license or similar so they have soemthing for their A&D book entry.

If you are a dealer (and I don't know where a C&R FFL falls in here) then you need to register with the CA DOJ, and for each shipment provide an invoice, and the CA DOJ will give you a permission slip for hte shipment.
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, if I understand an individual can ship a long gun to a CA dealer without any major issues?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ammo guy
    Ok, if I understand an individual can ship a long gun to a CA dealer without any major issues?

If the dealer in question will accept a firearm shipped form an unlicensed individual you can ship a handgun or long gun to an FFL in CA. All of the "red tape" applies only to dealer/dealer transactions and not to individuals.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ammo guy

Correct. The FFL may have his own rules about accepting. Just my opinion, but it is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure the FFL will accept the firearm and that the seller/sender is crystal clear on what sort of information may be required. If the FFL wants a copy of the sender's DL and a telephone number and a thumbprint it is the buyer's job to learn that and present those requirements to the seller/sender.

Last thing anyone wants is the gun showing up and the DL included having info blacked out, for example.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama
    For an individual? Make sure the receiving dealer will accept from you. You'll probabyl need to include a xerox of your drivers license or similar so they have soemthing for their A&D book entry.

If you are a dealer (and I don't know where a C&R FFL falls in here) then you need to register with the CA DOJ, and for each shipment provide an invoice, and the CA DOJ will give you a permission slip for hte shipment.

What is a xerox?
  • Options
    00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:What is a xerox?
    That's an early term for "photocopy".

I had to chuckle over that one. [:D]